Chapter 12: Calm down

April is sitting on the stairs of the scare building. She didn't go back to her room because the thoughts in her head and all of this situation is buzzing on her. She needs space and air. In a small room like her dorm, she cannot really have that chance. Her head hanging low, she thinks over all what happened right after the event of the Scare Games; Randall's expulsion from the RORs, Sullivan's cheat, Mike's break in the lab, Randall's sudden state of mind.... It was all too much for her. She wished she could do something to help out of all of this. But yet again, she was useless. All she could still do was hearing out everyone's conversations or wait. Nothing more. All that was happening it was in Mike's, Sulley's, Randall's, Johnny's, the Oozma's, the RORs' and even the Dean's hands. And she is there, thinking over these things all at once, and harming herself with stress and worry. She always gets like this in these critical situations or when some things are too much for her to bare. Yet she wished she were stronger. She now holds the sides of her head with her hands as her elbows are standing on her knees. April sighs hardly.

"Why did it have to be this way?....", she mumbles out, holding back sobs and tears.

She then later on hears footsteps behind her coming towards her. And they stop, right behind her. April looks down aside, to see the figure's shadow. 

"Now what?", she says quietly but loud enough for them to hear out.

"Am I that much a sign of bad luck to you, rookie?", Johnny asks out. 

April sighs in response. Johnny can sense that the dragon snake monster's mood is pretty much down. He looks awkwardly around himself, a hand behind the back of his head. He then decides to sit next to her on the stairs. Both Johnny and April don't say anything for a while, not knowing what to say. April on her side, still in shock and stress, wonders what is Johnny even doing here and what he wants with her. She doesn't try to say anything yet, waiting for him to try to explain himself, and also because of all the feelings she got, she doesn't feel like talking much yet. Johnny clears his throat, noticing the silence that was going on since a while now. 

"I heard about the break in inside the lab. Are you worried?", he asks out.

April nods without saying anything.

"You sure do care about that green guy.", he comments.

"So? We're friends.", she finally says, "Or at least I'd like to think so."

Johnny gives out a small chuckle.

"You do know who to choose as friends.", he says.

"Look, he may not be such a great scarer like you, but he is nice and caring. A bit egocentric sometimes, but very kind. He just led a whole desperate team into victory.", April states.

"That of course with the help of Sullivan's cheating. I overheard the very recent conversation with Hardscrabble. They never really had a chance."

"Maybe, but until then, Mike Wazowski just led his team into the final event. Even lost loyally or winning by cheat, he just has proven how far people like him and the Oozmas can go. I would very likely be certain he has a chance to be a scarer, but if not, he still showed everyone that he had guts. He instructed a team who was underestimated to become champions. And that is why I respect Mike a lot. I do consider him as a great friend, even if we didn't see each other often this semester.", April explains.

Few tears start rolling down her cheeks as she still was staring on the ground while talking.

"And that is why I'm so scared for him. I wish for him to be safe. I want him to come back. Yet I'm useless. I can't help out.", she starts sobbing, her arms now wrapping around her legs as her head lowers more.