Chapter 24: Start

April is the first one to have woken up. She's still pretty tired but she was sick of staying on the couch and do nothing but sleep. She gets up and quietly walks out of the living room to go to the kitchen and get breakfast. She finds a cereal box on a shelf. "Dirty Loops". She eats a bowl full of it before walking out of the kitchen inside the hall. She discovers that there's something lying on the floor, right in front of the door. It looks like a letter. She walks towards it and picks it up. It has the logo of the Greek Council on it. Maybe news on the events of the games. April suddenly feels a pair of arms wrap around her from behind. She looks up and smiles.

"Hey, rookie. What do you have here?", Johnny asks curiously, lightly still sleepy.

He probably woke up recently.

"Hi, it's a letter from the Greek Council. You might want to check out.", April says, handing over the letter.

But Johnny doesn't take it yet in his hands as he lets go off April.

"Just wait, we'll need everyone hearing out.", he says, walking a few meters away from her and- , "Everybody wake up! Get up you lazy bags of claws!"

He calls out so loudly. Wow. What a brutal way to wake up. April stares at him blankly.

"Was it necessary?", she asks.

"Anything's necessary.", Johnny winks before walking back to her and taking the letter in his hands, finally, and starts opening it, "Thank you."

The rest of the ROR team is coming from the living room and upstairs, a bit grumpy from the loud call waking them up. They walk towards their chief.

"What's up?", Chip groans sleepy.

"We'll see.", Johnny says, opening the letter and reading it out loud, "We got our first enigma. Watch where you step. What's under your feet is what could kill you. What makes you stronger is your agility and that you keep running. Tonight. So, what do you guys think of when you read this?"

Everyone thinks.

"Parkour?", Chet suggests.

"Probably parkour, yes.", Johnny agrees, "With some obstacles for sure too. And surely it's going to take place in the sewers. Good one, Chet."

"So, what are we going to do about it?", Javier asks.

"We won't know how the parkour looks like nor what we might have to face there, but if it's an obstacle course, we ought to be fit and agile like the letter expects us to be. So, everyone get your breakfast and right after, we'll start our first training. And I wish everyone do their own hard work through our training. We got to win these games, so you better not get lazy."

April has already taken her breakfast, so right now she's the only one staying here in the hall with Johnny, waiting for the others as they go all to the kitchen. Johnny looks down to April.

"You ready for training?", he asks her.

"I am.", she says, smiling.

"Sorry if it might sound or look hardworking and complicated at the beginning, but you'll get used to it.", he winks to her.

"Am still willing to try. But thanks for warning."

Johnny smiles back, patting on April behind her back gently.

-

After everyone finally was ready and all had their breakfast, they reunite in the sports-hall of the row. Johnny explains to his whole team what they are going to do today.

"Alright everyone. Let's train these limp muscles right here. We'll go on the hard way to get it all started. The first event starts tonight, so I want you all fit and prepared."