Chapter 20 : Comforting

It's almost 18:00 PM. April is super excited to get to know if she is accepted in the fraternity or not. Honestly, if she would get accepted in, she would really be in high joy. Finally in a team. And it looks like a good one too. Well at least the leader looks rather nice. Maybe she got a chance to prove herself. Maybe she has a chance to be part of something. She's marching to the row of the Lambda nu Kappa. She knocks on the door of the sorority, as she stopped in front of it, and waits, hopping on place. The door opens brightly. The leader, Rita Rich, is in front of it. 

"Oh hey again.", Rita says, smiling.

"Hello, I came to know if ever I could be entering your sorority.", April says.

"Ah, yes. I'm sorry. Unfortunately someone also has given up her candidature and we have chosen her to be part of the team.", she says awkwardly.

It's as if April had received a bullet in her stomach. Chills had suddenly attacked on her skin. 

"What?", she asks.

"Sorry. We got many candidatures since a bit of time, like yours, and today someone came after you and we got to this conclusion by her skills and her talents. You aren't bad at all, that's not what I'm saying, it's just that there had to be a decision here. But you aren't bad either. Honest. I loved your performance.", Rita tries to explain herself and reassure April.

"Oh....", April lets out, her face showing broken hopes, "Th-That's fine. Everybody can have their own chances. Thanks still for having let me introduce myself to you. And thank you for your patience."

"You ok?", Rita asks, seeing that she had a sudden change of face.

"Yeah yeah. B-Bye I guess.", April stutters, as she quickly turns around and rushes away, feeling herself get pale. 

"Hey wait.", Rita calls out in vain.

April doesn't dare to turn around, shame having now started to haunt her. The leader of the LNK didn't dare to call her out again, confused of her reaction and going back inside the row. April on her side, needs a small lonely corner to calm herself down. And she needs to be so far away from the row. There aren't many people around the campus at this time of hour, so she might find somewhere calm. She quickly turns in a small alley between two buildings and clutches herself against one of the walls, staring at the opposite one at the other side. Breathing hardly, her fear of rejection has overcome on her. And here she thought she could make it finally in a team. And here she thought that she had a chance. It was the last sorority who could have let her in. The very last one here on Monsters University. And now she feels alone. She doesn't have a team and she cannot participate in the Scare Games. Of course it's none's fault if she didn't get admitted. Congrats to the one who actually got in and the sorority had many requests so she had to choose. But if only.... if only....

"You know how it feels, huh? To be rejected by people. Like trash.", a voice calls out from the deep of the alley. 

April startled a bit as she heard out the raspy voice and looks in direction from where she heard the voice.

"Who's there?", she asks out. 

But she can't see anyone in there. And then she looks towards her and something starts forming from the wall and appearing. 

"Boo.", the figure says.

"Randall's? What are you doing here?", she asks him.

"You aren't enough discrete to be rushing right here like you saw a ghost. And for a little second I thought you were going to cry."

April doesn't say anything to this, still waiting for him to be answering her question for once. 

"You know? I have been through the same situation as you all my life. Being seen as nothing but lame. Not being accepted by anyone, no matter what you do. People would never accept monsters like you and I. Actually we are the same.", he adds.