Chapter 5

I decided to upload earlier because of the holidays. Happy holidays!

Xx H.

Kevin Daniel - Guarded >>>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up early after spending the night tossing and turning, like every other night. You think I would sleep in after yet another sleepless night, but I didn’t. It´s like I have a mental clock that wakes me up in the early hours of the morning. I slummed out of my bed and headed to my bathroom.

I didn’t have to look in the mirror to know I looked like crap. It was actually quite a while since I took the time to look at myself in the mirror, I only took quick glances to fix my hair or brush my teeth. I turned the shower on as I dropped my pajamas on the ground. When I was satisfied with the water temperature I got under the shower, letting the warmth soak in. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the way the water was loosening my tense muscles. This was one of my morning rituals that I actually enjoyed the most.

I washed my hair and body and stayed a while longer under the steaming water until it got cold. After that I slipped into my bathrobe and felt the cold air blow against my body before I enveloped myself in the robe. I shivered from the cold and held the robe closer to me. Walking through my closet I skipped the girly clothes as usual and settled for plain jeans and a red hoodie.

The last time I wore something girly and colorful was at my graduation.. Thinking about that day made my heart race and my breath got caught in my throat. I breathed in and out slowly, trying to get my breathing under control. The room around me was spinning and it took a while for me to recover. Yet another morning ritual, one I didn’t quite enjoy. At least it was tear free today. I collected myself and left my room.

I called Andy as I walked downstairs. He picked up on the first ring with, “Hello gorgeous.”

I rolled my eyes and was just in time downstairs to see Jeff walking in through the front door. He gave me a warm smile and walked towards the kitchen. I guess the awkward phase was fading, I thought surprised.

“Are you training today?” I asked Andy through the phone as I followed Jeff to the kitchen.

“Yeah, we’re at the clearing now,” he answered.

“Perfect, we’ll be there in a bit,” I said and hung up not waiting for another one of his ‘lovely’ remarks.

“Jeff, would you like to escort me to the fighting training? Well, of course, Alpha Haley. I would love to. Thanks for asking me,” Jeff said, using a screechy voice for my part of the conversation as he grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

I stared at him for a second and burst out laughing. “Aren’t you supposed to ask those things when going to prom or a dance?” I said mocking him.

“Whatever,” he shrugged and took a sip of his water.

I shook my head and grabbed a soda.

“Well, what are you waiting for? I’m not going to carry you to the clearing,” Jeff said, trying playfully to sound impatient. 

I raised an eyebrow at him and pushed past him opening the soda, “Like I even want you to carry me.” I scrunched my nose up in fake disgust.

“Sure you do,” he laughed as he walked behind me. I was happy we were back to our normal selves, the ‘incident’ long forgotten. 

My pack members were spread across the field, some in human form and some in wolf. When they noticed my presence they started gathering around and lowering their heads in respect.