Chapter 4 - Alone

Author's Note: Hi reader! I would love to hear some feedback on my writing and story so far, if you wouldn't mind giving me some in the comments down below. Thanks for reading, and, once again, I hope you enjoy!

Ellie's P.O.V:

Ellie and Lottie were sat together on Ellie's bed, in their dorm. They were silently doing their maths homework from Friday; Ellie hated having to do homework. They were still in school, so technically the teachers just gave them extra schoolwork instead. Useless. She couldn't deny, however, that she enjoyed maths. There was something so wonderful about how there are only two straightforward options: right or wrong.

But it didn't feel so fun this time round. She could tell that Lottie was almost hiding something from her, and Ellie was growing suspicious of what she witnessed earlier in the English room. Were the two of them going to kiss? But that was crazy. There was no way that Lottie and Jamie liked each other...but maybe they do.

These thoughts were all that Ellie could focus on. She tried to distract her mind with equations and numbers, but it didn't work like it usually did.

Because Ellie knew that she liked Lottie.

Everything about Lottie, Ellie found was just so wonderfully cute. She was her Pumpkin Princess, and she wanted to protect her and embrace her and shield her from anything bad in the world. She was just so lovable in her own Lottie way.

But what if Lottie didn't like her back in that way? What if she truly did like Jamie, instead of Ellie? And what if Jamie liked Lottie back? Then what?

All of Ellie's confusing thoughts started to blur into one, and she suddenly felt a familiar surge of anger. She threw her maths work across the room, her pencil and ruler flying with it. She let out a piercing shriek in frustration. She hated this. Not Jamie and Lottie probably fancying each other, but the position it left her in. She was going to be on the side, left out and forgotten if they ever got together. Alone. She hated it.

"ELLIE! What are you doing! My fairytales!" Lottie raced over to her most prized collection of fairytale stories, covered with loose sheets of paper, a cracked pencil and snapped ruler. "Ellie, why on earth did you throw that!" 

Ellie let out a groan in anger. "What does it matter?!"

"It matters because you almost deafened me, and gave me a heart attack just now! What's gotten into you?!"

"Nothing! Just leave me alone!" Ellie shouted. She got up, and marched over to the door.

"Where are you going?" Lottie asked, still shocked from Ellie's random outburst and mood swing.

"Outside." Ellie said bluntly. She slammed the door harshly, leaving Lottie staring in its wake.