Chapter 8 - Confessions

Lottie's P.O.V:

Lottie was stunned. Was this real? Am I dreaming? She couldn't believe it. Jamie liked her?

"R- really...y- you do?!" Lottie's mind was racing, her heart was a furious drum, thrumming in her chest. Her palms were getting slick with sweat and she felt breathless and lightheaded.

"Yes, and I know that you don't like me, but I had to tell you. I can't keep it a secret anymore because-"

Jamie was cut off; Lottie leant forward and pressed her lips against his before she even processed what she was doing. Kissing Jamie. And to her surprise, he kissed her back.

They both melted into the kiss, which was gentle and soft. Eventually, they pulled away, and looked deeply into each other's eyes. Gazing at the golden flecks in his hazel eyes, Lottie couldn't remember ever feeling happier.

From reading countless fairytales, her first kiss was everything that Lottie had ever imagined it to be. Except, of course, that it was with Jamie Volk. But, then again, he was just a different kind of Prince Charming.

"Jamie," she said breathlessly, "I like you too." She smiled up at him, and he gave her a genuine smile back.

Ellie's P.O.V:

No, no, this isn't happening. This can't be real. I'm imagining things, Ellie tried to convince herself, but there was no denying what she saw. Lottie and Jamie kissing.

She had walked past Jamie's room, and saw the door left slightly ajar. She heard two voices, but they were too quiet for her to hear properly. Ellie had cautiously peeked around the corner of the door, something she had lots of experience doing due to her defiant nature, and saw the worst possible thing she could have ever imagined.

Over the past few days, she'd noticed a change in Lottie, and Jamie too, though that was less noticeable. They had acted differently when they were around each other, or when Ellie mentioned the other's name to one of them. She tried her best to ignore it, but clearly she couldn't any longer.

Ellie used to think that the only reason that she didn't want her Portman and Partizan to be together was because she would feel left out. But now she knew that, deep down, it was because it broke her heart. Ellie liked Lottie, but Lottie clearly didn't like her in that way.

Why is life so unfair? She thought to herself, sitting on her bed, silent tears rolling down her cheeks. She knew that she should have been happy for her two best friends, but it was hard to be when all she could feel was her broken heart.

Ellie got up, walked over to her cabinet, and switched on her old radio. The song that started to play was 'Love Me or Leave Me' by Little Mix.

'You used to tell me that you loved me once,

What happened, what happened?

Where is all of this coming from?

What happened, what happened?'

'You say I'm crazy and there's nothing wrong,

You're lying and you know I know,

Baby, what have we become?

What happened?'

'We used to never go to bed angry,

But it's all we ever do lately,

And you're turning away like you hate me,

Do you hate me, do you hate me?'

'You can take this heart,

Heal it or break it all apart,

No, this isn't fair,

Love me or leave me here,

Love me or leave me here.'

'Do you remember when you loved me once?

What happened, what happened?

And you'd hold me here just because,

What happened?'

'We used to never go to bed angry,

But it's all we ever do lately,

You're turning away like you hate me,

Do you hate me, do you hate me?'

'You can take this heart,

Heal it or break it all apart,

No, this isn't fair,

Love me or leave me here,

Love me or leave me here.'

'Love me, baby, please,

Cause I could still be the only one you need,

The only one close enough to feel you breath.

Yeah, I could still be that place where you run,

Instead of the one that you're running from.'

'You can take this heart,

Heal it or break it all apart,

No, this isn't fair,

Love me or leave me here,

Love me or leave me here.'