Chapter 20 - The Return

Lottie's P.O.V:

Back to Rosewood! Lottie thought, finally! It had been over a week since they had left England, for they stayed longer at Maradova then they anticipated, and Lottie was relieved to be going back. For all of its extravagance, she just felt so out of place at the palace. After all, she was only a Portman, and she felt like a fraud when she was there. As much as she wanted to, she didn't belong in that world, not truly. As it turned out, Lottie wasn't the only one who was excited to return to Rosewood.

"YES! We're here! Home, sweet home!" Ellie exclaimed, as she and Lottie entered their dorm, the midday sun pouring through the room. Ellie flopped on to her bed in her signature style, face first and with her limbs spread out. Lottie smiled to herself; the princess had been in a much better mood after Jamie and Lottie had told her about their conversation with the queen.

Her roommate was still, however, a little disappointed that they had to date in secret, but it was a step in the right direction. It had convinced Jamie that they really could be together. And at least the princess didn't have to reveal herself - Ellie was more than relieved to hear that. The more Lottie thought about it, the more she realised that everything had turned out fine.

But maybe 'fine' was an understatement, because Lottie was going to have a date with Jamie. Ok, so maybe not a 'date', she thought to herself, but we are meeting up! It's just two of us, so that's almost a date, right?

"Lottie! Hello! I'm trying to speak to you! I've said your name, like, a thousand times!" Ellie's voice jolted Lottie out of her thoughts. She saw her roommate was sat up on her bed, waving her arms to try and get Lottie's attention.

"Wh-what?! Oh...sorry, Ellie," Lottie said, trying her best to stop her blushing cheeks from burning up. "I...was just...you know..." She trailed off, awkwardly fiddling with the hem of her purple Ivy uniform.

"Oh, I know, your head was in the clouds, thinking about Jamie." Ellie finished for her, smirking at Lottie. Recently, the princess seemed to be surprisingly okay with Jamie and Lottie's relationship, which the Portman was more than grateful for. She was worried that she had broken Ellie's heart badly, but she seemed fine the past few days, and back to her usual self.

Lottie blushed furiously, and she looked down at her feet in embarrassment. "Well...maybe I was, but...I mean, it's hard not to! Especially because we're meeting up by the pond later. It's, you know, kind of like a date." She finished, her cheeks still flushed.

Ellie gave Lottie a side smile, and signalled to her roommate to sit down next to her. "If you say so," she said, smirking at her Portman as she sat down on Ellie's bed, in Ellie's dark side of the room.

Lottie tried her best to give the princess an annoyed look, but Ellie simply laughed at her attempt. Lottie smiled to herself again - it had been such a long time since she had heard Ellie properly laugh. Being in the palace had had a negative effect on her princess, for in Maradova, Ellie was constantly moody towards everyone around her.

It seemed that Ellie was much more at home at Rosewood, and so was Lottie.