Chapter 16 - Decisions

Lottie's P.O.V:

Once again, Lottie Pumpkin found herself on a private jet, flying to Maradova with both the Maravish Princess and her royal Partizan. The flight lasted for five hours before they landed in the snowy kingdom of Maradova at night. Once they had stepped out of the airport, the bitter cold numbed Lottie, and the frigid wind howled like wolves.

As they approached the royal palace in their private black car, Lottie suddenly started to feel a sense of deja vu. She turned to look at Ellie, who was very subdued during the entire journey. Lottie supposed that she must be worrying about what she would tell her parents, as she kept biting her lip nervously. She also knew that Ellie didn't think of this place as her home, and that she would rather be anywhere else in the world than here. Lottie reached out to squeeze Ellie's hand reassuringly, earning her a little side smile from the princess.

Eventually, they were escorted inside the palace by Hanna, one of the maids, who was wearing a black dress with a pristine apron. Lottie said a quick goodnight to Jamie, forcing herself not to gaze at him for too long. She was then taken to her usual guest room in the left wing of the palace, with Ellie who came along with her.

Though Lottie had been here before, the extravagance of the palace never failed to amaze her. Every room was like entering something straight out of a fairytale. As soon as they reached the room, Ellie threw herself carelessly face first onto the bed, her muddy boots kicking the fresh fabric.

"Ellie! That's my bed I have to sleep in tonight!"

"Oh...right, sorry." Came the muffled reply. Ellie sat up straight on the edge of the bed, and Lottie sat down next to her. She saw Ellie biting her lip again, her eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"Ellie, are you okay?" Lottie asked tentatively.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Ellie tried to give a smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Well...you just seem worried about something and I know you don't like being here."

Ellie gave a small, humourless laugh at this. "Of course, I hate it here. It brings back bad memories, and reminds me of my future." She said bitterly. "But I'll have to face it if I'm going to reveal myself as princess soon."

"But you don't have to. Don't you want those last few years of freedom? Isn't that the reason why you came to Rosewood and why I'm your Portman?"

"I know, it is...but, I want to help you and Jamie in any way that I can. It's wrong that you're not allowed to date, just because you have to work for my stupid family." Ellie sighed, running her hand through her hair, a look of regret on her face. "If I were just an ordinary girl, then you two wouldn't have to protect me, or work as my Portman or Partizan. We would all just be...normal." She looked down at her feet, a pained expression on her face. Lottie felt a pang of sympathy for the burdened princess.

"But, Ellie," Lottie said softly, "Maybe there's no such thing as normal."

Jamie's P.O.V:

They were finally back in Maradova. Jamie couldn't decide whether or not he preferred it more here than over in England. Maradova was his birthplace, his home, and all he had ever known for almost all of his life. Yet when he travelled to England, it opened up a whole new magical world that he never knew existed. He supposed he preferred it at Rosewood; he felt less lonely and isolated, and he had met new people - including Lottie.

Jamie slumped onto his bed with a sigh. Why can't I stop thinking about Lottie? My job is to protect Ellie, I have to put HER first. The Princess, not the Portman. He turned to look out of his towering window, where he could see the vast royal gardens below.

He remembered the days when he would play with Ellie in that very garden, both of them carefree and happy. The days when he didn't properly realise what it meant to be a Partizan. But now he did, and he had to fulfil his role. No matter what it meant.

And his mind wandered back to the kiss. He had kissed Lottie. Again. Even though every fibre of his being had told him that he shouldn't, that he can't, he still did. He tried to convince himself that he regretted it, but failed, because he loved Lottie. There was no denying that, and, deep down, he also wanted to find a way to make their relationship work. If Lottie wanted the same thing too, then what were they waiting for?

That led his mind back to Ellie. The Princess who was rebellious. The Princess who was defiant. The Princess who hated being one, and who was careless and never listened to any of Jamie's lectures.

And yet was that Princess willing to finally reveal herself to the world, after years of hiding away and avoiding royal duties? And no longer have a Portman or the new reputation that came with it? And give up her last few years of freedom forever? Was she really willing to do this? Was she prepared for all of this?

Jamie could only hope that Ellie was. Or the Maravish royal family would be in great danger.

He would have to wait for the trial tomorrow.