Chapter 17 - The Trial

Lottie's P.O.V:

Lottie woke up, surprised and shocked to find herself in a vast, elaborate room, and sleeping on a broad, comforting, velvety queen-sized bed. Then she remembered. She was in the royal palace. And it was the morning of the trial.

Hanna had brought Lottie some traditional Maravish pastries for breakfast, as well as a platter loaded with pancakes and toast and tea and fruit and a full English breakfast. For a split second, Lottie wondered how Ellie could possibly hate this place; it had everything that you could ever want right at your fingertips.

But the princess had told her that she was constantly reminded of 'bad memories' here in the palace. It had a negative effect on her, and she was under immense pressure to live up to unrealistic expectations. Why was Ellie so willing to step up to all of these responsibilities all of a sudden?

Lottie tried to stifle her gasp as the oak doors creaked open to reveal the throne room. Though she had been here before, she had somehow forgotten how enchanting and mesmerising it was. As the bright white light flooded through the room, the Princess and her Portman and Partizan stepped forward to face the King and Queen of Maradova.

"Eleanor, you have requested a private meeting to discuss Act Six." The king said, his voice booming around the room, and his dark eyes gazing over at the three teenagers. Lottie was relieved to hear that this was a 'private meeting', just between the three of them and the king and queen. She didn't enjoy having Ellie's grandmother in the room with them last time. She still felt just as nervous though, an odd feeling lying at the bottom of her stomach.

"You have requested to end Act Six before the appointed time. Why is this, Eleanor?" Alexander inquired.

"Well, I believe that it is time for me to begin my royal duties now." Ellie replied, in a confident tone, yet Lottie could tell from her trembling hands that she wasn't. Ellie, Jamie and Lottie had previously decided they should tell the king that Ellie wanted to reveal herself simply because she had changed her mind about her royal duties, without mentioning Jamie and Lottie, just to be safe.

But if it was difficult for Ellie to lie about it, then it was even more difficult to convince her parents.

"And why is that, Eleanor? Have you not been avoiding those duties for all fourteen years of your life?" He retorted.

"Y-yes," Ellie hesitated, "But having a Portman has made me realise that I need to face my own responsibilities." Lottie cringed slightly at 'a Portman', but took a deep breath and steadied herself.

The king turned to face his wife, and they shared a knowing look. The queen considered Lottie for a moment with her icy-blue eyes, before looking once more at the king. Lottie could feel her heart racing.

"Charlotte," the queen began, "Are you also willing to end your job as Eleanor's Portman?"

"Yes...I am, Your Majesty." Lottie replied, trying to keep her voice calm and steady. From the corner of her eye, she could see Jamie glancing over at her, as if he was questioning whether or not this was really true. And so was Lottie, because she had to admit, she enjoyed being a Portman at times. It meant that she could be a real princess, just like she had always dreamt of every night, as her mother read her fairytales.

However, Lottie prided herself on being kind and selfless. If this was what Ellie truly wanted, then of course she would agree to it.

The king briefly shifted in his throne, as if he was uncomfortable about something. "Eleanor, are you really willing to give up your last few years of freedom?"

"Yes...father." She added reluctantly, apparently trying to butter him up, and be polite for once in her life. The queen gave a small smile at this, but really it seemed as if she was trying to suppress a laugh instead. Lottie was impressed at how well she did this, but she supposed that the queen had a lot of training at it.

Queen Matilde considered Lottie, then turned her gaze towards Jamie, that soft smile still playing on her lips. Did she know something? Lottie couldn't help but wonder.

"I am afraid, Eleanor, that we cannot go through with this." The king stated abruptly. "You have failed and disappointed us on too many occasions. You are always unsuccessful in keeping your word. You will simply fail to meet expectations again. You are everything that a princess shouldn't be." Lottie flinched at his words; she could only imagine how they would hurt Ellie, who made no reaction, other than the sheen of tears building in her eyes.

"Therefore, I do not agree."