Chapter 13 - Persuasion

Jamie's P.O.V:

Jamie felt disorientated. There was no other way to describe how he felt. He was absentmindedly strumming his guitar on the edge of his bed, thinking about Lottie, and the moment they kissed.

Lottie, the only girl who he fell for. Lottie, the only girl that he loved. Lottie, the only girl he couldn't stop thinking about. He loved everything about her: she was cute and funny and beautiful, even if she didn't know it. And Jamie would do anything to protect her. He just didn't know how to tell her all of these thoughts and feelings. But doesn't she feel the same way?

Jamie was jolted out if his thoughts as he heard whispering outside of his door. He barely had to listen to the voices to know that one of them was definitely Ellie. Jamie was used to hearing the Princess snooping around outside of rooms in the royal palace, so this was nothing new. He strained to hear the other voice, and realised it was Lottie's.

"Ellie, what are you doing? Is this your idea you were talking about?" Jamie heard Lottie whisper.

"No...that's something else, but I suppose I'm just full of great ideas today." Ellie whispered back, a slightly smug tone in her voice.

Jamie rolled his eyes at this. His Partizan training told him that Ellie was leaning against the door, pressing her ear on it to hear if Jamie was inside. The Partizan in him was honestly rather disappointed that they were so obvious and indiscreet. He really needed to teach them some stealth and spy skills for the future.

"But...what are you going to do? ...And why are we whispering? Ellie, what are you up to?" Lottie replied nervously.

"Relax, little princess," Ellie laughed, still keeping her voice quiet, "just trust me, okay?" There was a sudden change in her light-hearted tone. "Actually...I need you to wait outside for me, Lottie. Or maybe go back to our dorm."

"What? Why?"

"I said, 'just trust me'. Honestly, it'll be fine, Lottie."

"If you say so..."

Jamie heard footsteps walking down the corridor, growing quieter, quieter...

"Jamie!" Ellie had come flying in through the door. "I need to talk to you about something."

Jamie didn't reply, but raised an eyebrow at her. He already had a good idea of what Ellie was about to say.

"Look, I need to tell you something," Ellie started to rub the back of her head, looking down at her feet and clearly feeling uncharacteristically nervous. "I-I...uh...I saw you and Lottie kiss the other day."

Jamie tensed. What did Ellie know? "I- I talked to Lottie about you two earlier... but I wanted to speak with you as well." Ellie sat down gently next to her Partizan on the edge of the bed. Jamie put down his guitar and looked over at Ellie.

"Jamie, I know that you really like Lottie. I can tell by the way that you look at her, even though you try to hide it. And I know that she likes you just as much... But she hates how you keep pushing her away and how you act like you don't care. But I know that you do care; you're just...scared."

Jamie turned to look out of the glass doors of the balcony. Ellie was right - he did feel scared and he didn't want to mess things up. But it seemed as if he already accidentally hurt Lottie by acting so cold around her. He had messed things up after all.

"I know that you said you two can't be together because of your jobs working for my family," Ellie's face turned bitter at this, and there was regret there too, "but that doesn't matter, it shouldn't stop you two."

"What about you?" Jamie said quietly, "Don't you like her too?" He was still looking out towards the forest, yet he could see in the corner of his eye that Ellie hesitated for a split second.

"Y-yes, but she doesn't see me in that way, so I won't see her in that way either." Jamie raised his eyebrow at this. Surely this was difficult for Ellie too?

"Look, Jamie, all I've ever wanted is for us to live an ordinary life, one where you don't have to protect me and be my Partizan. One where you're happy and free. One where you've found love." She turned to Jamie as she said this, and gave him a small, reassuring side smile.

"I know that you would do anything to protect her, and make her happy, which is why I know that you would be perfect for her. Just...please give it another chance. Forget about your roles as Portman and Partizan and just see what happens. Please?" Ellie pleaded.

Jamie let out a long breath that he didn't realise he had been holding in. "Ok, fine. But if we date, everyone's going to find out. We can't risk that happening. Lottie's your Portman, so-"

"Jamie! It's going to be fine! You just need to relax." Jamie gave her an irritated look, but Ellie simply laughed. "Don't worry, I have a plan." She told him.

Then she got up, and made her way to the door. She was just about to leave when she turned back around. "Oh, and, Jamie," she said, "I need you to meet me in the Ivy study room at 5pm. Don't be too early though, I know you." She gave him another little signature side smile, and then slipped out of the room.