Chapter 12 - Sacrifices

Ellie's P.O.V:

"Lottie, I have to ask you something." Ellie said, lying carelessly on her messy bed, next to Lottie. They were staring up at the ceiling, talking about random thoughts in their heads. But Ellie found that she couldn't properly focus when all she could see in her head was Jamie and Lottie kissing.

She hadn't told either of them about what she had witnessed for almost a week now, which was pretty good considering she wasn't great with secrets. However, it was too much for Ellie to keep in; she had to tell someone. And it looked like that would be Lottie herself.

"What do you want to ask?" Lottie questioned, turning her head towards Ellie in a way that the Princess found adorably cute. But she doesn't like you, Ellie, she likes Jamie, said a sneering voice in the back of her head.

"Well...um...I don't know how to say this, so I'm just going to." Lottie had a puzzled expression on her face. "Look, do you like Jamie? And tell me the truth, Lottie." Ellie held her breath and waited for a reply, looking up at the ceiling.

"Wh- what do you mean?"

"You know what I mean, do you like him in that way?" Ellie's heart was thrumming loudly in her chest, anticipating the answer.

"Y- yes...I do," her roommate replied, "but...you like me, don't you?"

Ellie hesitated. Should she tell Lottie the truth? But hadn't Lottie just revealed her own secret? It would only be fair for her to tell the truth too. Ellie refused to look at Lottie, tears building in her eyes, but she didn't let them fall. "Yes," she whispered softly, "I do, but I know we're just friends. I liked you not long since we met, during that first week. I'm sorry, Lottie."

"No, I'm sorry. But...yes...you're like a sister to me. I still love you though, Ellie. That won't ever change." Lottie whispered back to Ellie, reaching out to squeeze her hand.

That was when it hit Ellie. She finally realised that all she had ever wanted in life was for her Portman and Partizan to both be happy. She wanted Lottie to find happiness, and Jamie to find love. And they found that in each other. She realised that now. She just had to prove it to them. Ellie was suddenly determined to show them both that they belonged together, and that they needed to make up.

Even if all this meant that Ellie was going to sacrifice her love for Lottie, she would still do it. If it meant that Ellie's royal reputation would be ruined, she would still do it. If it meant that her parents wouldn't approve of them, she would still do it. Jamie deserved this, and Lottie deserved this. With Ellie's help, she was going to make sure that they were going to find their way back to each other, whether they liked it or not. I'm going to do this!

To Lottie's surprise, Ellie turned her head to give her a little side smile. "I have an idea."

(Author's Note: I thought that the lyrics in bold in 'A Mess (Happy 4 u)'  by Little Mix relate well to Ellie and the position that she is in. It's about trying to be happy that someone you love is in love with somebody else.)

'No bad blood,

But we don't speak.

It's been 150 days,

Or 21 weeks.

Who's counting?'

'I saw you holding hands,

On New Bond Street,

She in the same cute tee,