Chapter 15 - Hope

Ellie's P.O.V:

"BRIKTAH! NO, YOU WILL NOT!" Jamie shouted at Ellie, furious and seething. It was one of the very few occasions where she saw him quite so angry. She could tell that Lottie was afraid, but Ellie was determined to convince Jamie, a storm blazing and thundering in her eyes.

"BUT I CAN! THERE'S NO STUPID RULE AGAINST IT, SO I CAN!" She retaliated, her arms flinging wildly in the tense air. Ellie started to pace the room again, fed up with all of this. Why can't I just live an ordinary life? If she could, then she would never have to deal with any of this at all. None of them would have too. She would be just another girl, completely common and ordinary. She wouldn't have the weight of royal duties lying heavy on her shoulders either.

She let out a long sigh, "Jamie, just listen for a second, if I reveal myself as princess officially, then everyone will know that Lottie's just a Portman and then you two can date! It's so simple! It's solves everything!"

"But you can't. You can't reveal yourself because your parents would never allow it, you will tarnish your reputation again and though there is no official rule, you have to wait until you are an adult." Jamie replied, regaining his composure, and keeping his voice calm and level in a way that Ellie was envious of.

"So what! I'm only trying to help here!"

"Ellie," The Princess turned sharply from her pacing to see that it was Lottie speaking quietly, "We get that you're trying to help, but you can't reveal yourself. Besides, I thought that you never wanted to face being queen, or your royal duties. And Jamie and I would only have to wait for four years, and we can date secretly meanwhile."

Ellie let out a frustrated groan. "Only four years?! That's a long time, and you know it!" She let out another heavy sigh. "Look, I'm willing to do this for you guys. I'm willing to sacrifice my last few years of freedom for you both because I want to, not because I have to. I can make my own decisions, and this is one of them!"

"Well, it seems like a rather rash decision to me, not to mention that you will regret it within two hours of the reveal." Jamie said drily. Ellie turned to him and gave him a scowl. He simply rolled his eyes, which only infuriated her even more.

"Jamie, can you at least call my parents later? We need to fly back to Maradova."

"What? Why?" Lottie asked.

"So that we can discuss this 'rash decision' with my parents." She gave Jamie another brief scowl. "Also, we can see if I would be allowed to reveal myself, and if I can, then I will."

"Ellie-" Lottie started, but the Princess rushed to the door and flew out of the room, leaving Jamie and Lottie alone.

Lottie's P.O.V:

Lottie's heart beat faster. Should I stay or should I go? It was only her and Jamie in the room now, and she could feel that awkward tension return in the air once more. Lottie felt very overwhelmed by all of this: Ellie's idea, Jamie's refusal, both of their furious rages. It had been a while since she had seen Ellie and Jamie arguing so badly, but she knew that it wasn't because it was personal - it was just a disagreement.

Cautiously, Lottie looked over to Jamie. He still looked irritated and annoyed, but to Lottie's shock, when he saw her look of concern, his face softened slightly.

"Jamie...I'm sorry," she began, turning her body around to fully face him. "I'm sorry I got you into this mess-"

"No, Lottie, I'm sorry," Jamie cut her off, "I should've realised that I was hurting you by acting so cold. And I would never try to hurt you." He said softly, tucking a strand of Lottie's long, golden hair behind her ear. Her heart thrummed faster in her chest, and she waited with bated breath.