Chapter 10: "Could You Be My Ibuprofen?"

Friday, October 19th

The day of reckoning.

Friday.

Thanks to my appointment later, I bought myself a few more hours of time. Now I have time to sit in my room and panic and try to convince myself that I don't need to do this.

"Hey," I greet, sliding into the seat next to Connor. I have to be quick because I don't know how long I have to do this.

"Hello," he responds casually, unaware of how clammy my hands are and the twisty feeling in my chest.

"Okay. I'm going to ask you something," I say. I have to be abrupt. Just get right in there and say what I need to say. Not the bisexual part, I would never have to guts to do that in such a public space. Maybe in the cafeteria if we were alone. But not here. I have to lead up to that part though. Just rip the Band-Aid off.

"Okay?"

"I am being quick and upfront about it because I will be leaving any second, but trust me I would love nothing more than to stall and avoid saying what I want to say for the next 2 hours," I explain, fully aware that I was doing exactly what I said I was trying not to do.

"What? Why are you leaving?" Connor asks, his back straightening.

"Getting my cast off. But. Anyways, so. Okay. So. My mom is not going to be home today. And," I stop. I'm making it embarrassingly obvious that I've never done this before, which is pathetic. But Connor probably wouldn't judge me for it. He never does. I just need to keep reminding myself that we've known each long enough that he's not going to suddenly hate me because of one stupid thing I say.

"Well, I was wondering..." I resume, only to fall back again almost immediately. Which is annoying.

"Would you maybe..." And Connor, wonderful, patient Connor, seems to get that I'm struggling with this. And for some reason, he doesn't try to jump in and 'help'. He nods encouragingly with achingly soft eyes.

"Want? To come over? To my house? After school?" I stammer out in a staccato, and his lips curl into a blink-and-you'll-miss-it smile.

"Sure," he says easily. Like this wasn't a milestone in my life. Like he didn't have to think about it, whether he wanted to make this investment in our friendship or not.

"Wait, what?"

"I mean, yeah. Why were you so nervous to ask me?" he chuckles, and I feel blush wrapping around my neck like an uncomfortably warm scarf.

Probably because I'm going to tell you that I'm bi and I'm scared you'll figure out that I realized because I almost got an erection at the thought of you working out. "I don't know."

"What time?" he asks. I didn't think I'd get this far this quickly.

"Uh. Well I'll be home so just whenever you want to I guess. You remember my address right?" I ask, and he nods, rubbing his knuckles against his eye so hard I'm scared it'll bruise.

"Yeah. So you're not coming back to school?"

"My mom didn't see a point in it. It's nearly 12 right now anyway, and my appointments at 12:45. So by the time I come back 3rd block will almost be over and we never do anything important in Health anyway," I say, twisting my fingers around and around, breathing out a nervous laugh.