Chapter 30: "And The Joke's On Them"

Monday, April 1st

I can barely hear the buzzing of my phone over the crowded hallway, but I certainly feel it in vibrate in my back pocket. Quickly, I duck into an alcove beside a row of lockers so I don't hold up the traffic.

J: YOU GOTTA SEE WHAT UR BOYFRIENDS WEARING

J: he fr just robbed an old navy

Me: Shut up

I don't know why I expected anything other than insults the second I saw Jared's contact name. Especially on today of all days. He seems to have an affinity for making fun of Connor. I poke fun of him sometimes, but I'll never mean it like Jared does.

That doesn't stop me from stopping in my tracks the second I walk into the classroom, stifling my surprised laugh.

"Oh God," I mutter, not bothering to conceal my smile as Connor stares at me unamused from our desk.

He's wearing light blue jeans, a black shirt and white Converse. The shirt has long sleeves, so at least something is normal. He really does look like the epitome of Old Navy.

"Don't even start," he mumbles, sliding down in his seat.

"Jared was right."

"What?"

"He literally just texted me saying that you looked like you robbed an Old Navy," I say, and Connor drops his head in his hands, groaning. He doesn't look bad, not by a long shot. It's just so weird to see him not in greyscale.

"Asshole saw me in the hallway and asked if I mugged a white Catholic grandma and stole her Kohl's cash," Connor grumbles, and I cover my mouth with my hand. It doesn't mask my snicker.

"It's not funny."

"It's a little bit funny. Creative, at least. What's with the outfit?" I ask.

"Zoe thought she was funny," Connor sighs, rubbing his eyes. "Her idea of a fantastic April Fools prank was to fucking sand the bottoms of my boots and every single pair of shoes-"

I start laughing. Hard. Hard enough that I bury my head in my arms to muffle the laughter, because I can feel people watching me.

"It's not funny! She got all my shoes except for these fucking Converse my mom got for me last year because something made her think I'd ever in my life wear them," he complains. And I feel bad for him. I really do. But that's also kind of genius.

"Oh my God," I say shakily, trying to stop laughing. People are watching, I know. But I don't think I really care.

"It's not funny. She promised to replace them, but I almost broke my neck trying to get downstairs."

"Were, were you sliding everywhere?" I ask.

"Yes," he sighs, and I start laughing again, even harder.

"It's not funny!" Connor insists. It is funny. "I've had enough April Fools for the rest of my life. Please. Don't do anything," he pleads.

It takes a moment or two before I can breathe again. "I don't really ever do anything for April Fools Day. I'm just not very good at coming up with prank ideas," I say.

"You didn't even get Jared?" Connor asks, and I wince.

"Well..." I trail off, shrugging. I usually don't prank Jared on April Fools Day. It's not really my thing. But I decided to do something this year, especially because it may be the last year we regularly see each other.