Chapter 22: "Unwavering, Unshakeable"

Monday, January 14th

  It still feels weird to hold Connor's hand in such a public setting, even after two weeks. Especially when I know that Ty is lurking somewhere around the busy cafeteria. Most of the time, I'm not even thinking about it. His presence just sits in the back of my mind, not always outright threatening, but definitely unsettling.

"I'm just saying, you guys are underestimating my power," Connor says.

"Power to do what?" I ask, and he smiles endearingly. He's like a cute little puppy, and he smiles and laughs and I just want to squish his cheeks. He would probably never speak to me again if I ever said that out loud, but he's just so fucking adorable and I have to sit there and act as if I'm not melting.

"I can create the most horrible, disgusting drawings and none of you can stop me. I'm dangerous," he claims.

"You're anything but dangerous," I chuckle, squeezing his hand and grinning.

"Underestimating me," Connor whispers under his breath.

"Well, I'm glad we all still have lunch together. Even if Jared isn't here," Alana says. Even though he's borderline bullied me for my whole life, I miss him. Finals were last week, so today marks the start of the new semester. That means new classes, so Jared has a different lunch.

I have mixed feelings about these changes. On one hand, more classes with Connor. On the other hand, my classes are harder and I have an additional class with Ty.

"That's the best part! I really couldn't be happier with the new schedule. Longer lunch-"

"By two minutes," I interrupt, but Connor doesn't stop, just glances at me, irritated.

"-no more Kleinman, I have two classes with you, a class with Alana, and no classes with Ty!" he continues, doing jazz hands with the hand that isn't in mine.

"I actually have him in my first block," I say, being the constant buzzkill that I am.

"Oh, well that's shitty," Connor says, sympathetic instead of outraged. He still thinks it was a random guy who cornered me in the hallway. The guilt eats me alive every time I think about it, but my lips are sealed. I'll never tell him though. It's out of the question. He doesn't need to know, and it'll only hurt him if he does.

"He's also in our Calculus," I add. As if that was constructive at all, and I couldn't have just pretended to be surprised when he was in the classroom next period. Ignorance is bliss, and all.

"Okay, that's double shitty. But it's fine. We can deal, it's our last semester," Connor shrugs, not losing his smile. I don't know what's got him so optimistic today. It's probably the lack of Jared.

"Evan, isn't your first block Creative Writing?" Alana asks.

"Yeah." Out of all my classes, that was the one I never would have thought Ty would take. But apparently bullies and perverts have interests too. Alana's phone buzzes, and she looks at us with a smile.

"Okay. Jared just gave me the okay to tell you guys," she says, standing up and straightening her shoulders.

"Tell us what?" I ask. She doesn't stop beaming, and charges onward.