Chapter 41: "The Calm"

Monday, July 1st

  It feels abnormal to be this happy. Summer hasn't even been official for a week yet and I'm already bored. Connor's been quiet lately. I've texted him a few times, and I'm honestly shocked to have gotten a response.

But the air in the car is undefinable. Connor's grinning from ear to ear, fingers rapping the steering wheel. His energy is infectious.

"Okay. Where are we going?" I ask finally. He pulled up to my house with absolutely no warning and told me to get in the car.

"It's a surprise," he sings almost maniacally, glancing at me. That's the smile I fell in love with.

"Are you finally going to kill me?" I ask, poking at his arm. He swats me away.

"Unfortunately, no. Evan Hansen, do you know what today is?" Connor asks. I have absolutely no clue where he's driving.

"July 1st," I answer.

"And why is that important?" he asks, far too smug for his own good. I don't know why. There's nothing to be smug about.

"It's our 6 month anniver- oh," I whisper. We're going on a date to celebrate our 6 month anniversary. I bite back a stupid grin.

"Yes. Yes, it is," he nods.

"In honor of our 6 month anniversary, are you going to kill me?" I ask. Who knows, maybe today is the day he decided that enough is enough.

"No one will be dying tonight," Connor says, making his voice low and spooky.

"Slow acting poison. Got it," I laugh.

"Enough with the dying. This is a happy day. I've graduated from my least favorite place with my most favorite person," he says. I guess the reality hit him that he graduated high school because he sounds very pleased with himself.

"Graduation was like 5 days ago," I remind him.

"And high school was 4 years long. My excitement doesn't end at midnight, babe. I'm free," he sighs, pulling off onto a side road. I recognize this road but there's no way we're going to where I think we're going.

"College," I say. Not free just yet.

"I will make college my bitch. We will have such a good time, we will forget all about high school and never want to leave," Connor claims. Is he high? Is that why he's in such a good mood?

"You're very optimistic," I comment.

"6 months with my beautiful boyfriend, of course I'm optimistic," he reasons. I'm really glad to see him so cheery. It's been a while since we've been so happy together.

"You sound like you're about to propose," I joke. His smile only widens.

"God, I hope not. I didn't bring a ring," he says.

"You forgot a bring a ring to your own proposal?" I ask. Surprisingly, I don't feel awkward making proposal jokes.

"Damnit. Guess I'll have to do it another time," he sighs, snapping his fingers like a cartoon character. He really needs to stop letting go of the wheel.

"So, where are you actually taking me?" We're heading towards the direction of Ellison, but there's no way that's where we're going.

"It wouldn't be much of a secret if I told you," Connor hums. He's right but I don't want him to be.

"I don't see why it has to be a secret," I groan. In fact I think it would be better if it wasn't a surprise. I'm also impatient, though.

"So you'll see it and say 'Wow! Connor! All of this for me?! You shouldn't have! I love it!' and then we'll kiss," he explains, looking at me with that stupid smile. I love him, and I love his smile, and I love his face, but he's driving.