Chapter 32: "Liquid Sun"

Sunday, April 21st

  Rain softly patters on the ground behind me, dripping off of the edge of the awning. It had started coming down just after I ducked into the Murphy's porch. We probably should have checked the weather forecast before we made plans to walk around downtown. Maybe it'll let up soon.

I ring the doorbell, twisting the hem of my shirt. I would really appreciate if for once, Connor answered the door because one of these days his dad is going to answer and I can't promise I won't immediately book it.

But, as usual, Zoe opens the door.

"Hi Zoe," I greet.

"Hey. Happy Easter."

"Happy Easter. Does your family have any, uh, plans?" I ask, partially to be polite but also Connor never confirmed if he was going to do something with his family too, which could affect our plans.

"Parents want us to have a grossly formal dinner, but it's not for a while, so you're good. You?" she asks.

"Uh. No, I'm Jewish. But, but that sucks. Do you know when it is? I kind of had plans with Connor, but he didn't tell me if you guys were doing anything."

"Probably at around 5, so you have time," Zoe says, shrugging. I had asked Connor multiple times for the past week if his family had plans and he always danced around it, almost to the point of suspicion.

"Okay thanks," I smile, stepping inside.

"Sure." I had texted Connor before I left to let him know I was coming over, but he hasn't responded. I don't think he even read my text. It's almost noon, so I wouldn't be surprised if he fell asleep on our plans.

But when I step into his room, he's awake. Somethings wrong, though. His lights are off, but the light from the hall illuminates his room enough that I can see that it's a mess. More than usual.

"Hi. You're here," Connor says, voice quiet and sore. His laptop is open in front of him, glowing on the lowest setting. It's enough to see that he's shirtless.

"I am. You're... shirt?" I ask.

"Shirt?

"Where is it?"

"Oh. Probably on the floor somewhere," he answers, looking at his bare chest like he forgot that he was shirtless, then looking around on the floor as if he could see anything in the dark.

"Connor, your door is open," I scold. He didn't say anything inappropriate, but I would be so embarrassed if one of his parents heard that out of context.

"You made that sound dirty when it wasn't. Besides, maybe that'll finally convince them we're together," Connor says, rubbing his eyes.

"While I'm here we can tell them," I suggest. I don't particularly want his parents to know that we're dating, but I'm not trying to hide it either.

"I'm not up for it today. Maybe tomorrow," he shrugs before stretching his neck. How long as he been hunched over like this? He's gonna develop scoliosis.

"Okay. You never explained why your shirt's off," I say, stepping over clothes to maneuver my way to Connor's bed. I step on something small and solid and freeze. Kneeling down, I grab it. Connor's phone.

"Worked out earlier. Just kind of forgot to put it back on afterwards," he explains, moving a bowl of mac and cheese from his lap to the end table next to his bed.

"So you worked out and then decided to eat bad mac and cheese and watch..." I lean over to look at the laptop screen and grimace. "Is that Twilight?"