Chapter 34: "Singing the Same Old Song"

Tuesday, May 7th

Voices overlap each other, fighting to be heard over the loud noise. Too many people are talking in too small of a room.

But it's okay. Even though we have a group project, it's okay. Because Connor will be here, and the noise won't seem so bad, and I'll have a partner for the project.

And when Connor's here, I won't feel the boring gaze of Ty.

So when he walks in, I excitedly wave him over. The last thing I need today is to be paired up with someone who I don't know for this project. Knowing my luck, it'll be a major project that I end up having to do all the work on anyway.

"Sit next to me. Pretty please," I plead as Connor weaves between the desks.

"I literally can't sit anywhere else," he deadpans, plopping down next to me and rummaging through his bag. He's not looking at me. Did I do something?

"That's a yes?" I ask, trying to maintain my energy.

"Yeah? Why?"

"Ms. Ruiz said that we're starting a group project, so we have to work with someone," I explain. I don't mention the fact that I just wanted him to sit next to me. He always sits next to me. It's his assigned seat. But a tiny, irrational part of me was worried he might sit somewhere else.

"Table partners?" he asks. He's still not looking at me. Maybe he's just looking for a paper or something, though?

"Hopefully," I say. Connor nods. He puts his bag down. Was he just looking through it so he didn't have to look at me? Worry sits like a stone in my gut.

"How did Painting go? Do any... uh, painting?" I ask, grinning. Maybe if I get him talking about his day then this weird tension will go away.

"No, but I did some drawing though," he huffs snarkily, rubbing his eyes.

"Wrong class period," I joke.

"Same teacher," he shrugs. I laugh, and even to me it sounds painfully forced.

"But, really, how did it go?"

"It was fine," he says shortly.

I was right. Something's wrong. I knew something was wrong and I still kept trying to make it normal and now Connor's mad at me.

"Okay. Sorry," I murmur, sounding more defensive than I want to. Fantastic. I'm just stumbling my way through this.

I should leave it at this. I shouldn't bother Connor anymore. But his shoulders are so rigid and his eyes are so steely. I can't say nothing.

"You okay?" I ask in a quiet voice. Despite the still lingering loudness, it feels like everyone's listening.

"Yes."

"Are you sure? I just-"

"Evan, I'm fine, okay?" he snaps, finally looking at me. I wish he didn't. I flinch and he doesn't notice.

It's like the last 8 or so months never happened. Connor's back to a walled-up ball of rage, and I'm back to a terrified lump of anxiety.