Chapter 30: Closure

November 1918

The months passed quickly, bringing the changing of seasons yet again. Eloise watched the days pass from her window. The wounds of grief remained prominent on her heart and her mind. Pain seemed to be a normality in the days she lived. Happiness came only from the sight of Ulrich. Life was empty as her heart. She wondered if peace would ever conquer the war. The sights of aching men offered no consolation to her weary mind. She longed for the war to cease. Words of the end were spiraling among the women and men. Eloise deemed them exactly what they were—rumors. Somewhere in those rumors she hoped to find the truth.

From the window she saw the unusual sight of joy. Groups of women embraced with smiles wide across their faces. Tears flowed freely from their eyes as they danced with jubilation. Faint cheers rang through the pane. Eloise felt a leap in her heart as she witnessed the scene.

In a haste, she took Ulrich into her arms and found her way from the isolated room. The chatter echoed through the busy halls. Eloise wound through the labyrinth of excited people. When she reached the soldier's ward, she was taken into an embrace by Adeline.

"The war is over!" Adeline cheered, squeezing her friend. "I never thought we would see the day."

Eloise's eyes fell shut at the news. A sensation of relief overcame her. For once in months, she finally felt alive again. She placed her arm around Adeline and felt her softly crying. With a gentle hand, she reassuringly rubbed her back.

"It came to an end two days ago." Adeline whispered through her tears, pulling away from Eloise. "We can finally go home now."

Eloise thought for a moment before smiling. "Isn't it wonderful. The war is finally over."

The two women stared intently at each other. Their shared memories danced vividly across the ballroom in their mind. No one could fathom the horrors that they had witness during their time in the hospital. The fear of finding acceptance in a world without war frightened them, for they only knew the butchery of the nursing.

The silence shared was interrupted by applause in the adjacent room, piquing their attention. Adeline took her by the arm and entered the packed room. They crept to the corner, onlooking the praise of the British airmen that had entered. Eloise caught a glimpse of Everett in the excitement. As he shared drinks with his comrades, a sick feeling formed in the pit of her stomach. The sight of his smile shattered her heart, for the only smile she could see was Albert. She could not bear to see him enjoying the moment. She pulled Ulrich closer to her and turned her back to his sight, hoping she would be invisible.

"Is everything alright, Eloise?" Adeline questioned concerned.

Eloise forced a smile onto her face and nodded, "Yes, it is too busy in here for my liking. I think I will step out for a while."

Just as Eloise turned to flee the room, the continuous clanking of glass gained the attention of the onlooking crowd. Eloise glanced up and saw the piercing eyes of Everett locked on her. She felt her face growing flushed as she slowly backed toward the door.

"Eloise," he boldly called, waving her toward him. "I would like for you to come here."

Eloise's eyes grew wide at the request, feeling her heart sink into her stomach. She gently shook her head and held Ulrich tightly against her chest. Before she could reject his offer, he waved for her again. Reluctantly, she maneuvered through the parting crowd. She could feel their eyes peering into her soul, leaving her only vulnerability.

Uncomfortably, she stood before him and nervously spoke, "Yes, sir?"

Everett watched her silently for several seconds, smiling widely. He reached into his front pocket and pulled out a black velvet ring box. Before Eloise could focus, Everett dropped onto a single knee and lifted the box open. A large diamond ring sat in the center flashing vibrantly in Eloise's disheveled mind.