Chapter 19: The General's Daughter

German Airfield 

Albert carefully watch as the plane above him began to splutter vigorously until it hit the ground with a thud. A cloud of dust formed around the machine. Albert rushed toward it, fearing the worst of the pilot

"What are you doing, Augustus!" Albert called as he moved closer.

Through the cloud of smoke and dirt, the slender form of the young man appeared. He slowly removed his flying cap and tossed it on the ground. "I don't know, brother. My engine failed after a British fighter shot it."

Albert began to overlook the body of his brother. "Are you alright? Mother would have me if her young son was injured."

Although he was some years younger than Albert, his stature showed a maturely aged man. His slender frame towered over Albert, covered in a well-pressed uniform.

"I am fine, brother." He reassured him with a laugh. "Mother will not have to know anything that happens in this war." The two grew silent, both knowing of the horrors each had witnessed. Words could not describe what war had to offer. "Do you think the war will ever end?"

"I don't know." Albert shrugged, "As we grow weaker, they keep growing stronger. They have a new flying captain who is wreaking havoc on all the squadrons. They say he is undefeatable."

"Do you believe that he is?"

"He is a man," Albert shook head, "all men can be defeated in some way."

The two continued their walk with silence, arriving at the airfield camp that was still. Albert could see the form of the new commanding general approaching them steadily. His face was cold and empty, as it usually was. Albert dismissed his brother and instantly changed his stature, saluting the high-ranked man.

"At ease, Captain." He instructed after his salute. "I am needing to speak with you in private."

Albert nodded without hesitation. He followed him into the nearby officer's tent. The General poured a glass of wine and sat down. Albert awkwardly stood in the frame of the tent, awaiting the commander's orders.

"There is more in the bottle." The general remarked, hinting at the glass he held. "Have some if you like."

Albert graciously declined, but remained fixated on the man. He was silent, supping the red liquid slowly. Albert's tenseness grew as he watched him confused.

"Sir," Albert hesitantly spoke, "I was wondering what is it that you need me for?"

"I need your help to boost the morale of the war effort." The stiff general remarked. Albert raised a confused brow but remained silent, listening intently to the man. "You are considered a war hero. People look up to you and follow your every victory. You in your position helps to boost the morale of the people, but not enough to help win a war."

"What does this have to do with anything?"

"I'm glad you asked, captain." The general commented leaning forward. "I think hope for a future will bring great happiness to the giving up people."

"Happiness doesn't exist during wars, if you weren't aware." Albert remarked.

"Ah, but I think I have found a way to create it."

Albert tilted his head warily, "and how might that be?"

"I have a daughter; you know her as Maude." The general paused, allowing Albert time to think. He silently nodded. "She has been great in the war effort. She lifts the spirits of the wounded men and the downtrodden women back home. Papers have even gone to the extent of calling her an angel."