Chapter 7: The German Nurse

Eloise leaned against a straw bale, staring at the white tents that were lined along her side. The hot days passed slowly as she waited for someone to receive her. She kept her eye toward the sun, watching it as it crept along the cloudless sky. No words were conversed with the gawking men who passed her and Albert was not to be seen. She ran her hands along the back of her neck, feeling the knotted muscle between her shoulders. In the strange world she was alone...

She perked up at the sight of the impressive general who was approaching her. In a haste, she rose from where she sat on the hard ground and straightened her shabby attire. Her hands quickly brushed away the strands of brown that obstructed her vision. A nervous lump began to form in her throat as she bowed respectfully to the officer.

"Look at me, miss." His words addressed sternly. Slowly her eyes met his, peering into the aged blue orbs. "That is better, miss."

She meekly nodded without speaking. He moved to her side and placed his arm around her shoulders. Dashingly, he began strolling with her at his side. The smell of pungent cologne circled around her nose as she was pressed close against his side.

"You will be riding with us for another day." He informed, halting his walk. He released her arms and stared at her. "No one would come for you here. Near France, there is a field hospital in Belgium that will take you in and train you."

"France?" She questioned baffled.

He nodded nonchalantly, paying no mind to her confusion. "Yes, miss. That is where the fighting is. Germany doesn't need nurses back home, they need them near the western front." He shrugged. "I didn't like the idea of a woman riding in my cavalry any more than the others, but I can't leave you now; people know of your existence."

A blank stare came across her face as she looked upon him. Her mind could not fathom the information she had been given. In fact, her mind didn't want to understand the words. She began to look around the campsite that was going to be her new life for the upcoming days.

"Don't act like it is such a punishment." He bluntly remarked. "As I have told you before, my men could have killed you in the woods and no one would have missed you. It will only take a day at most to arrive there." He shook his head at the silent Eloise. "Who am I to think you will answer me?" He sarcastically asked, waving her away. "We will begin our ride today. You will have your own horse and will trail behind the men—" he paused, raising a single white eyebrow. "a good distance behind the men."

"Will I be alone?" She meekly asked.

A disgruntled sigh slipped from his lips. "You are woman. You cannot ride alongside my unit." He went silent as he watched her face fall. "I will place the Captain von Brandt with you. I don't see that it can hurt anything since he is not part of my unit, either." He nodded reassuringly. "He is a skilled marksman if any problems shall surface." He leaned closer toward her. "By the goodness in my heart, I am allowing you to ride with me until we arrive at the field hospital. Do not overstep your boundaries, miss."

She watched the general as he turned away from her and traipsed superiorly toward a young man. Intimidation plastered all over his youthful face as he listened intently to what the man said. He spoke several words to him before leaving his presence. Coldness radiated from the general. His appearance and his voice—every trait the older man possessed created discomfort in those around him.

The man, who appeared callow, rushed to the center of the open field and began to blow a bugle. Before Eloise could bat an eye, the cavalrymen surfaced from the makeshift tents and lined up. The general soon returned to the bugle boy's side, analyzing his unit.