Chapter 4: Eloise Ellen Keller

The following morning found its way slowly.  With the vague amount of light, the candle produced, she continued forcefully scrubbing at the visible bloodstains etched in the light gray fabric of Albert's uniform. The dawning day was beginning to produce a hazy light beneath the door when she heard Albert rustling in the bed. Between breaking his fever and fighting her own nightmares, Eloise found no sleep in the still darkness the night had offered.

"Eloise..." Albert's hushed voice trailed off.

Eloise quickly glanced up from what she was doing and gazed at Albert who had awoken in the corner. In his hands he held a small piece of white linen, studying it in great detail. She could sense the confusion on his determined face as he traced his fingers along the embroidered letters.

"Is that your name, ma'am?" He finally asked, looking up at the staring Eloise.

She watched him for several seconds in silence, pondering on the decision to lie before nodding hesitantly. Her identity was known, and it was a truth that could no longer be hidden.

"You have a beautiful name, Ellie." He stated plainly, offering her a kind smile as he rose. His weak legs staggered clumsily in her direction. "You didn't have to lie about it." He reached her the simple linen cloth and sat down onto the heavy chest. "What other secrets are you hiding in here," he paused, patting the heavy wooden box. "Eloise."

Eloise folded her arms over her chest and began tugging nervously at the top button on her blouse. "Nothing, sir." She replied simply, scrubbing the coat vigorously.

A displeased expression came over his face, making the nervous feelings resurface once again. "How did a woman like you get in the woods?"

Eloise's eyes grew wide at the unexcepted question, glancing back at his unimpressed gaze. She was at a loss for words, uncertain on what to say.

"Don't tell me that you don't know how, either." Albert bluntly said, taking the objects from her hands. "I want to know about you, Eloise."

Eloise could feel her heart pounding violently in her chest. "It is a long story, sir." She paused and nodded. "I don't think that you would want to listen for that long."

"I have nothing but time." He grinned cockily, crossing his legs. "As you can see, I am in no condition to go anywhere; and if my mother asks me who saved me, I can tell her—"

"No." Eloise quickly cut him off, shaking her head. Albert stared respectfully at her without speaking. "I am sorry, sir. I didn't mean to cut you off." She paused for a moment and shrugged her shoulders. "If I tell you about myself, you must tell no one—not even your mother. I don't want to be found by anyone. That is my greatest fear."

"I understand." Albert nodded collectively. "If you do choose to tell me anything, I assure you that I will never speak of you to anyone."

"How can I trust you?" She calmly asked, pushing herself up from the ground. "I don't know your character as a person."

He looked away and sighed, "Do you know why I crashed my plane?" The question was completely out of context and baffled Eloise.

She shook her head with confusion.

"The gentleman who I was fighting saved my younger brother's life." Albert paused, forcefully rising from where he sat. "I made him a promise that I would return the favor—a life for a life. When I realized that he was my opponent, I stopped fighting him with hard determination. I hoped that he would go on so he could live." He limped toward a chair and eased down. "I let him shoot my plane down in order to clear the promise made on my family's name"