Chapter 22: Men In Planes

The days that followed were rough. Defeat of the British carried a somberness throughout the area. The field hospital remained stationed in the location, yet the fear had begun to settle in the minds those who were there. The fighting was miles away. The sounds of war carried through the air, which did not help the feelings of the patients or nurses.

Eloise could not help but to think of her friend, Thomas, who was on the front lines. She knew not if he lived. The planes that soared above her head made her mind wonder about Albert. The confusion grew in her heart. Feelings for both men were present, each was different. She admired Thomas but did not love him in the way she loved Albert. With every rumble of a plane, her heart skipped a beat. She hoped that one day he would fly over and catch a glimpse of the man who had soared away with her heart.

The morning had brought a chill in the air. She cradled Ulrich in her arms. Every moment she got to spend with her son was a cherishment. Carefully, she watched him sleep. Not a worry was present in the resting child. She wished that she could have the same amount of peace.

"Eloise..." Adeline interrupted her moment.

Eloise did not make a motion, knowing what she wanted, "I am coming Adeline." She trailed her finger along his smooth cheek. "Just give me another moment with my child."

The quiet footsteps of Adeline were the only sounds to fill the empty room. As she sat down beside Eloise, the chair creaked and jolted Eloise into reality. She placed a tender kiss on Ulrich and gently passed him to Adeline.

The sight of Adeline with her son made her heart ache. She wanted to be the only mother he had, yet it seemed that Ulrich was the child of all the nurses. She could not pinpoint the feeling she had. She was grateful for their help, but something inside of her hated it.

"I will take good care of him," Adeline promised.

Eloise nodded, "Thank you." Her hands trailed down the front of her dress, smoothing the wrinkled linen fabric.

In the hospital the day was normal, just as any passing day. The routine remained the same. The recovering soldiers conversed among themselves peacefully, waiting for Eloise and the other nurses to tend their needs. Just as always, the time ticked by slowly.

The soldiers quickly became stirred as a loud commotion echoed through the silent walls of the hospital. The soldiers watched around carefully at the sounds of shelling coming from above head. Eloise knew the sound all too well. It was the songs of a plane, sung by that of a machine gun. Several of the men went to a window to see the scene unfolding in the air. Eloise fought the curiosity to look, but continued to listen closely to the conversations of the men.

"It is the Black Knight!" a man exclaimed, pointing at the dipping plane in the sky.

The conversations turned into excitement. Their cheers were clearly cried for the British pilot. Eloise knew not who the Black Knight was, but she knew that he was not favored among the soldiers. She glanced over at the other nurses; whose faces held no emotion.

"NO!" The voices of the men became loud and disheartened.

Eloise turned her full attention back onto the men gathered at the window. The look in their eyes showed defeat. Eloise finally let the curiosity take the best of her as she neared the door. With a delicate creak she looked out. Against the blue canvas she watched as a British plane exited the sky. The spiraling decent was followed by a thick cloud of black smoke. Fire blazed from its tail until it reached the ground. The scene caused no startle in Eloise, for it was a sight she had grown familiar with. She looked at the blazing sight for only a moment before bolting in its direction.