Chapter 28: The Black Knight

The morning sun shone brightly through the opened flap of the tent. Albert studied the information of enemy fire nearing their air field. The months that passed had proven to be devastating to the allied forces, losing many men to Albert's squadron. Those same months brought great pain to Albert, who had lost many of his dearest comrades to the British.

Although the title that had been placed upon him held high regards, he hated it more than anything. He calmly glanced up, fixating his gaze on a mirror. His own face seemed to haunt him. The faces of the dead flashed through his nightmares at night. How he longed for the war to end, and Eloise to return to him. He pulled out the photograph and stared at it. The hazy image seemed to be the only form of calm he could find during the raids. He tucked it back into the front pocket of his jacket and patted it.

His eyes glanced down at the letter on his desk. He took the paper into his hand and overlooked the words again. His rights of flying had been revoked by the high command, forcing him to stay on the ground. Against his wishes, they were using him for propaganda and casting his abilities away. He thought of the happiness the news of his retirement would bring to Eloise, but deep within his heart it brought pain. The love he held for flying was high and he could not help but to feel remorse.

Voices of people outside reminded him of the tasks at hand. He retrieved his pocket watch and observed the time. The time had come to make his final flight. His heart pounded violently. Never again would he grace the air with his craft. The thought offered him no sense of peace, only distraught for what was to come next. With a final look in the mirror, he let out a sigh and left the tent.

He passed by the tents, making small conversations with the other men. The younger replacement men watched in admiration as Albert walked by them gracefully. Although he tried, he could not learn to love the men. War had left his ability to care vacant. When he closed his eyes, he could see the faces of his fallen comrades. The thought of his deceased friends made his heart ache.

Several planes adorned the flat field. The morning sun reflected against their shiny paint. His eyes trailed up toward the sky, which was blue and clear. A smile instantly crept onto his face at the stunning sights his eyes beheld. Albert was a proud man.

"It is a wonderful morning to fly." Augustus approached him from the side, draping his arm over his shoulder.

Albert nodded, "A wonderful morning, it is."

The two shared a familiar smile and continued to walk in silence. The planes went form being small specks to the massive crafts. Albert rested his hand against the cold exterior. He walked around it inspecting every part carefully. The chatter of men increased as the pilots arrived at their planes.

"Men!" Albert called out, gaining the attention of the group. "Let us fly with great honor for our country. If any one should fall, let them know they did not fall in vain. I am proud to fly with each of you."

The small group of men dispersed, leaving Albert alone with Augustus. He pulled on his cap and goggles.

"Fly high, brother," Augustus commented with a smile. "Just be sure to return to the ground."

Albert outstretched his hand, taking his brother's. "You take care of yourself while up there, boy. Mother would be dreadfully angry if I let her young son fly to his demise."

The two shared a laugh, but soon fell into a discerning silence. Their eyes remained fixated on each other, both studying the features of each other. Somewhere in the silence they knew that it could be their last goodbye, but dared not to utter a word of death. It was inevitable during war.

As Albert began to climb into his plane he spoke, "I'll see you soon brother."

"We will discuss another successful morning over breakfast." Augustus replied with a single wave.