Chapter 18: A Wartime Child

Every waking moment at the field hospital ticked by, slowly turning into hours. The hours turned into weeks. Eloise spent her days aiding the other nurses with daily activities and studying the language of her captors. She longed to return to her home country and escape the monotony of the hospital.

Eloise sat across from Adeline who remained silent. She wondered what was going through the young woman's mind as she knitted a large ball of wool into socks.

"I have been with you for quite some time now, and I know nothing about you." Eloise spoke softly, breaking the silence. "Where are you from?"

Adeline glanced up and smiled, "I, too, am from Belgium."

"Really?" Eloise was impressed by the revelation.

"Yes," she gently sighed, "My mother and I escaped from there when the Germans invaded in 1914. I have never gone back."

"Well, it is for the best. There is nothing left there but the ruins of a once prosperous and peaceful land. I know, I saw it in its end."

The silence fell over them again. Eloise began to recall the day she left her homeland. She shut her eyes and tried to repaint the image she etched into her brain. Only in her memories could she smile—for only in her memories the world was worth smiling about.

The moment of reminisce was cut short by the frantic voice of General Thomas from behind. Both women quickly rose to greet him.

"There will be a large number of wounded arriving soon!" Thomas addressed them. Their only response was a silent nod. Just as the women began to leave, Thomas spoke, "Eloise, I want you to come with me for a moment."

Eloise halted in her tracks and closed her eyes. She felt her heart sink at the mention of her name. There was nothing that she wanted to hear from him. Hesitantly, she turned to face him.

"I have seen how comfortable you are among the wounded. It is as if you were born to tend the hurt," said Thomas as he neared her. "How are you so fearless when doing your job?"

"I am always nervous when I go in. There is never a passing moment that I feel comfortable with my surroundings. I pretend as if nothing bothers me, but it does. I am tired of seeing death."

"You told me that you worked beside your medical general, is that true?"

Eloise nodded, "Yes sir."

"Then you are to work beside me, just as you did him." He directed her. "Will that be a problem for you?"

Her eyes grew wide for a moment as she thought about the task at hand. The lump that was forming in her throat slowly slid down, making it nearly impossible for her to speak. "No, sir." She spoke softly, fearing what could happen if she refuted the command.

The intensity was building among the nurses as they awaited the arrival of wounded. The minutes passed into and hour when the sound of motor cars echoed in their ears. They rushed out to witness bodies of bloodied and burned men approaching the operating section.

Groups of men carried stretchers into the cramped operating room. Eloise glanced over the injured body of a man to see the face of Thomas assessing the damage. She wished she felt the same comfort with Thomas as she had with General Beck, but that feeling was absent. The injured man let out a painful groan. Instinctually, she reached down and gently touched his cheek. The gentle motion instantly calmed the man, making him lay still for Thomas. Thomas nodded at Eloise, who returned the motion. Eloise could see tiny fragments of shrapnel scattered through the man's body. Fear fill his eyes as Thomas began his work.

"Everything will be alright, sir." Eloise whispered to the man, removing her hand to aid Thomas.

As she worked, she would look at the man. Peace slowly filled his eyes when she offered him a kind smile. In a matter of minutes, they finished with him and he was taken to be with the other patients.