Chapter 27: Resignations and Propositions

"I am so very tired, Eloise." Adeline complained, halting behind Eloise. "I think we should stop for a moment."

Eloise glanced back at her, observing as she leaned forward. The exhaustion she felt was clear, yet Eloise knew that stopping could be fatal. Her eyes roamed to the graying sky. Night was falling. Eloise wondered how many hours had passed on their journey.

"We have to keep going." her response was straightforward. She adjusted herself and continued walking. "The sooner we get to the hospital, the sooner I can return to my son."

Time moved slowly as the two women continued their walk. Concern grew with the passing minutes. The world they were in showed no signs of life, only remnants of war. Suddenly, the glow from the field hospital flickered against the darkening sky. Echoes of war could be heard from the distance, sending a chill down the spine of Eloise. Fighting was supposedly ceased, yet the song of battle rang clearly on the evening wind. Cautiously, the two women approached their destination.

Little alarm was raised as they entered the wounded sanctuary. Eerie cries of the injured men sang a somber song. Focus of the men were turned solely onto their suffering comrades. Eloise and Adeline trekked lightly through the area, keeping their eyes locked on the macabre scene painted around them.

In the dark, she could see the silhouette of battered soldiers. As they passed, she could feel the fear radiating from them. The dim lanterns illuminated their stone faces. Their eyes held the stare of terror—a stare that Eloise had grown to familiar with. The horrors that encased the hospital was hidden by the cloak of darkness. In a selfish way, Eloise was thankful that she was spared the gruesome visual. The hand of Adeline startled her momentarily. She glanced back at her friend who had taken her by the hand. Eloise could sense heightened emotions in Adeline, which was unusual and raised concern.

They continued through the station in silence, passing by the wounded. A sigh of relief followed after they saw Thomas in the distance. Eloise rushed toward him. Without speaking, she passed the satchel of supplies to him. Her eyes scanned the area. Many wounded were awaiting aid.

The pungent odor of blood mixed with death filled the cramped space. Eloise instinctively went to work. One by one, she tended soldiers. Minor wounds were easily fixed and passed over. Those with lethal injures she took her time.

She eased down, inspecting the wounds of a motionless man. A delayed response came from her touch. A forced smile appeared across his pale face. With a gentle hand, he pressed it against her face. She nodded at his gesture and continued her examination. Blood pooled along his stomach. He held the injury with a tight grasp, refusing to release. Eloise managed to lift his hand. She gasped at the sight that lay before her. He cradled his entrails in his hand, letting her get a clear look. She could see in his eyes that he knew that death was imminent.

"I am sorry, sir." She whispered to the man. She rested a soft hand on his face, hoping to ease him for a moment.

He leaned against her, keeping his eyes on her face. His breaths soon grew ragged as the moments passed. His body became stiff beneath her touch. A firm lump formed in the back of her throat. As she studied the man, mixed emotions began to spiral in her heart. She was tired of seeing death. Few soldiers remained nearby, yet Eloise ignored them. She fled the space. Quickly, she darted through the maze of people and found her way into an empty tent.

She halted in the doorway and covered her mouth. The breaking point of emotions was peaking within her. She fought back screaming. Hot tears began to trickle down her cheeks. Soon, they were uncontrollably flowing her eyes. Her feet scuffled along the ground. She hoped that the pacing movement would alleviate the unwanted emotions that were rising within her. Her mind's thoughts were consumed with the image of the dying man. No matter how hard she tried, his face remained bold. She tightly shut her eyes. Suddenly, hundreds of faces began to paint inside her mind. She pressed her hands against her temples, eyes opened wide. The torment of death grew with the passing moments.