Chapter 15: No Man's Land

Eloise and the officers maneuvered swiftly through the trenches. The pungent odor concocted with smoke and death invaded her nose. Blood and mud poured through the trenches. A bombardment of shelling sounded closer toward the front. Just as they had reached the bunker, the shelling had ceased momentarily. Eloise glanced at her two escorts; fear written along her pale face. What had she gotten herself into, she wondered, but dared not to utter?

The general appeared from inside the bunker, his face was a shade of white. His eyes were wide, Eloise knew it was due to the condition of his son. She looked at him for a moment before offering a kind, reassuring smile. He quickly jerked the hat from her head in a rage. Anger boiled in his eyes as he looked carefully at her. He slowly reached out and touched her cheek.

"You're a woman." He grumbled under his breath, increasing his pressure on her cheek. "They sent a woman to tend my son—" he paused, turning in a haste. "to tend my men! You are a woman who should not be here. Take her away and bring back a man!" The general called out angrily, throwing his hands into the air. "I tell them that my son has been seriously injured and this is what they send to fix him."

"There is no one left at the field hospital, sir. It will take days before we can get another male doctor." Alwin retorted strongly.

The general gave only a sharp glare back to the man. Eloise remained silent through it all. A look of displeasure appeared on the general's face as he began to pace steadily. She watched his hasty movements around the confined area.

"Why are you just standing there?" He asked crudely, approaching her. "You should be doing what you were sent here to do—" he paused pointing in the direction of the small shelter. "fix my son!"

Eloise hesitantly entered into the bunker. The little room shook violently, as cascading dirt crumbles around her. She looked around the dimly lit area until she saw the horror she was looking for. Her patient was laid on top of a long table. His legs were torn from his body, with only blood-soaked wrapping around the stumps. His body was pale, drained from most of its needed blood. As she approached the scene, she could see that death was looming over the youthful man. She was haunted by the sight of his eyes that were once a beautiful shade of blue had darkened and set firmly upward.

A small wooden stool was placed beside him. Eloise took her place there and placed her bag beside the man. She gently took his wrist into her hands, feeling the faint pulse that remained. His chest rose and fell slowly. Eloise knew that he would soon be dead. She stroked the young man's hair. With what little strength he had left, he turned his head to look upon her face. A slight smile came onto his face when Eloise whispered words of peace into his ear.

"Mother..." his voice strained, catching the attention of the other men nearby. His father came rushed back to his side and took him by the hand.

"Your mother is not here, boy." He answered back, shooting a grumpy glare at Eloise.

Eloise ignored the rude gesture and continued doing what she knew best—comforting. She stroked his hair once again. "It's alright son."

"I-I want to come home."

"I know," she whispered gently, closing her eyes. "I know."

The young man took one last breath before the life faded from his body. The general released his hand, shaking his head. Eloise could see the remorse on his face, but she knew that it would leave soon enough.

"I am sorry about your son." Eloise remarked apologetically.

He quickly forgot the comment and started for the entrance. "One can't mourn forever."