Chapter 23: The German Patient

Eloise went down the row of patients, doing her nightly routine checks on the remaining patients. The silent stranger occupied the furthest bed. His icy stare met with hers. The blueness in his eyes held a certain familiarity, which Eloise couldn't place. She stopped in front of his bed and overlooked him. Her eyes were instantly drawn to the glistening medals that rested loosely on his chest. They were those of a German officer. She knew of their importance from her time spent with the Germans. It was clear that he cherished them by the way he held them. Her curiosity grew wondering as to where the man obtained them. She knew that ordinary soldiers would not be in possession of such meticulous awards.

She sat down beside the man and began to redress his few injuries. He made no effort to speak as she quietly worked on him. The moments between them passed quickly and she bid him goodbye. A familiar smile came onto his face as he thanked her. She took a deep breath as she stared closer at the man. In his grateful smile she saw Albert's image. The uncanny resemblance took her back for a moment.

The room became dark as the night fell. Eloise sat at her chair, which was her post for the rest of the night. She listened to the sounds of the men, some moaning in pain, others. Amidst the darkness she could see the silhouette of the stranger sitting upright in the corner. Concern came to her as she went to check on the man.

Beneath the flicker of her candle, she could see his face beaded with sweat. He pointed to the bucket of water at the bedside, showing her exactly what he wanted. She retrieved it for him and sat down beside him. Helping him sup the liquid, she could see more of Albert in the man. As she sat the bucket down, he frantically began to pat the bed around him.

"What are you searching for, sir?"

He gave her no answer as he continued searching vigorously. A sensation of peace came to him as he retrieved the medals that had been lost within the fabric of the sheets. With a gentle hand he tucked them into the pocket of the uniform hospital shirt.

"You're a German soldier, aren't you?" Eloise straightforwardly questioned. She eased herself into the nearby wicker chair and placed the flickering candle onto the bedside table. She could see the whites of the man's growing eyes in the darkness. Just as he went to shake his head, she spoke hushed, "You don't have to lie anymore, sir. I know for a fact that you are a German. I can tell because of those medals you have in your possession."

"Who says that I didn't steal them from a dead German?" He hollowly retorted, masked by a thick German accent. "You can't throw a stone without hitting a dead German. You know that better than anyone; and you also know that men steal trophies from them all of the time." The words came fluently from his once perfectly sealed lips.

Eloise nodded respectfully as she listened carefully to his well-developed argument. She could not deny what he addressed her with, but the medals he possessed didn't come from a common foot soldier, rather those of a decorated German airman.

"You could have stolen them," She began calmly, leaning closer toward him. "but you didn't." the finishing statement she made was whispered in German, causing his eyes to become even wider. "You don't have to hide your identity from me, sir. I know exactly what you are and I respect you."

"Then what am I?"

She offered him the kindest smile she could muster up. "You are an airman, are you not?"

He took a deep breath as a straightforward answer came, "Yes ma'am. I am." He rolled his head to the side upon the admittance of his true identity. "I have made it this far through enemy land and not a single soul ever noticed me; no one except for you has figured me out."