Chapter 31: To Germany

Eloise gently packed the few possessions into the satchel. She traced a finger along the heavily worn leather, reminiscing on the past years. It was over and she didn't know what to do. Her eyes glanced up at Ulrich. The smile curled on his face made her feel that the years of pain was worthwhile.

She strode toward the child and swooped him into her arms. The reflection of the two in the mirror caught her eye. Hollow eyes stared back at her as she ran a finger over her narrow cheekbones. The passing of time had not been kind to her appearance. The ragged woman possessed little of her youthful luster. She quickly ignored her thoughts of vanity and placed a kiss atop of Ulrich's head. The gentle coo eased her sadness.

A rap at the door startled her. She knew beyond the barrier was Everett. Her heart raced as she neared the door. She stared blankly at the barrier before opening it.

"Are you ready?" The words of Everett were rushed as he pushed his way inside the room. His eyes roamed across the open space.

Eloise looked around the empty room. A certain sadness came over her, knowing she was about to leave her new-found home. She closed her eyes and recalled the day she arrived. Memories warmed her heart for a moment, but quickly vanished.

"I have something for you." Everett whispered into her ear. Her eyes widened at the sound of his voice. "Turn around."

Eloise complied with the request and found herself staring at their reflection in the mirror. Without speaking, Everett draped the black ribbon around her neck. Resting upon her chest was a Pour le Merit. She gently ran her fingers along the cold medallion.

"Where did you get this?" She mumbled, quickly glaring up at Everett.

The cocky smile on his face grew wider as he spoke, "I got it from the body of Albert von Brandt." he took it into his hand and stared intently at her. His fingers trailed from the pendant, finding their way onto her cheek. "I told you the death of him would be my greatest victory."

Her breath hitched at his touch. She took a step back, looking at her reflection in the mirror. She could see him digging in his pocket for something, what she did not know. Suddenly a white handkerchief appeared. Eloise knew in her heart that it was Albert's.

"This was also his." He inspected the cloth carefully. His long fingers outlined the embroidered E—the one that she had made. "The poor chap must've had a lass who made him this."

Eloise felt her heart pounding violently. Tears were slowly surfacing her eyes, yet she fought them hard. She took it carefully into her trembling hands. Her fingers ran softly along the bloodstains, knowing they were those of Albert. The sight of them broke her heart.

"May I keep this?" She asked kindly, looking down at the linen.

"Oh yes, Eloise." Everett hastily responded, folding it into her hands. "Keep the medal, too. Let it be a reminder of your greatest accomplishment."

Eloise raised a brow, "and what is that?"

"Winning my hand." An arrogant smile crept onto Everett's face. He turned to leave. "Remember we will need to be leaving shortly. Try to be ready soon. It is not like you have much here to live for."

Eloise nodded silently and watched as he disappeared behind the door. She let out the breath of air she had captured. In a haste, she removed the medallion around her neck and took it into her hands. She dared not to have it rest upon her breast, for it was the medal of a hero; it was the prized medal of Albert. Her fingers outlined the points, recalling the visual of Albert wearing it. Carefully, she wrapped it in the stained cloth. She pressed it to her lips before tucking it into her satchel.