Chapter 26: The Reunion

"What if they see through us?" Adeline looked around at the gawking men.

"They won't if you will stay quiet."

Adeline nodded. Eloise passed by the tents. The sight of airmen conversing among themselves created a flashback. Carefree and calm, traits Eloise wish existed beyond the airfields. The two men raised their hand, halting them as they neared a lone tent.

"Captain," the man called into the tent. "during our patrol, we found two lost women."

"Women?"

Rustling sounds followed the confused voice from inside. Eloise's heart leaped with the intensity of the moment. She looked at Adeline who gnawed on her bottom lip. She patted her on the arm, bringing a simple smile onto her face. Eloise entwined her hand with Adeline, hoping to ease her for the captain's debut.

"Yes, sir. There are two women here who claim to be nurses. They say that they have lost their way to a hospital. Their motor-vehicle failed them and they could not reach their destination. They are taking medical supplies to another hospital."

"Send them in." The voice from within called out. The two men motioned for them to enter.

They inched their way inside the dimly lit tent, looking around at the quaint space. The silhouette of the officer stood against the white backdrop. He continued rummaging through a cabinet of papers, ignoring them. The slam of the drawer caused the women to jump. Adeline instinctively stared down at the ground, fearing the worst.

"It is strange you are lost going to a German hospital," his voice was distant. "A British hospital is the only one within miles of this location."

Eloise remained silent. The shadow of the man danced wildly as he moved. Eloise kept her eyes locked on his form. The pounding in her heart reached her head. The uncertainty of the moment built a mound of tension. Carefully he lit a lantern, illuminating the small space. Her eyes grew wide at the familiar profile that stood before her.

"Albert..." a faint voice spoke.

Her breathing intensified as the man slowly turned around. The piercing blue eyes of Albert stared back at her in disbelief. Both remained silent, unsure of what to say—unsure if they were in reality. The only thing they could do was stare.

"Eloise," his voice softened, letting her know he was real. "Is that you?"

She opened her mouth to speak but no words could escape. She was frozen where she stood, staring at Albert before her. He dropped the papers from his hand and slowly neared Eloise. She looked at Adeline, mouth agape. A puzzled expression was written along the face of Adeline. Eloise knew that she could not explain anything to the woman.

"Eloise..."

Her eyes fell closed at the whisper of her name. She had longed to hear his voice speak her name and here he was, speaking her name. Before she could open her eyes, the heat from his body wrapped around her. She tightly bound her arms around his body, pulling him close to her as she could. He buried his head in the nape of her neck, peppering kisses along her skin. She let out a breath of air.

"Albert." She whispered in his ear before placing a kiss on his neck.

"I thought I would never see you again." Albert spoke gently against her skin, sending a shiver down her spine.

"Neither did I."

He began to spin excitedly around with her clutched in his strong arms. He stopped sharply and pulled her away. His eyes fixated on her face. A gentle hand gravitated toward her cheek. She instantly melted into his hand, reaching to entwine her hand with his. He placed a soft kiss on her forehead. The well-chiseled lips formed a wide grin.