Chapter 21: Return to the Field Hospital

October 1917

Three months had passed since the birth of Ulrich. The days spent with him brought a small amount of joy to Eloise. Much of her life was spent seeing the bitterness that reality had to offer, but with the small child cradled in her arms she felt only happiness. She placed a gentle kiss on his cheek as she stroked the fine hairs that covered his head. His hair reminded her of the sun, and brought equal amounts of warmth into her cold heart. As Ulrich looked at her, she could see Albert in them. It was undeniable that Albert was the father of Ulrich.

The changing of seasons was becoming hard. The weather brought rain, yet in the orphanage it seemed as if it was always raining. For a moment in time the war around them had stood still, but within the passing months it had returned with a great rage. A choir of guns sang the song of death in the distance.

With the war raging all around the French orphanage, the passing of people had become scarce. Allied soldiers had passed by regularly, telling of the bloody details of the western front. Their arrival caused a great concern among the children who watched. Eloise knew firsthand what horrors war could create. She pitied the youthful soldiers who passed. Her heart ached as she watched them leave, knowing that many would never live to see another day.

In the dimly lit room she sat, her son cradled tightly in her arms. Vague amounts of light could penetrate through the small window of room. A strong gust of air howled from outside, sending a draft through the area. Eloise pulled a thin sheet up around herself and her son, driving away the cool force. She softly began to hum a familiar tune to the resting babe. Her gentle touch caressed the soft cheek of the infant. An instant smile came onto her face recalling Albert in her mind. Her heart ached with a desire to be held once again by Albert. All the wits within her knew that it was an unachievable dream, yet she kept on imagining. Thoughts of him kept her going.

The peaceful moment was stolen by the beating on her door. An unnerving feeling came over her as she hesitantly rose. She continued to hum against the cheek of Ulrich, hoping to keep the child calm. She stood beside the door, reluctant to open it. A loud pound came once again.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before slowly opening it. To her dismay, General Ramsay and Adeline stood before her. Both were dressed as if they were about to enter an operating room. Their faces held news she knew she did not wish to hear. She felt her heart sink at the sight of them.

"It has been a long time since I have saw either of you." Eloise whispered into the stillness. She nervously placed a kiss on Ulrich's head. The blank stares on their faces spoke louder than any words that could be spoken. Although silence was the only response that came, the nerves in Eloise's stomach began to turn violently. "What have you come for?"

Adeline dropped her head and let out a sigh. Thomas patted her on the back and spoke, "We have come for you."

Eloise's eyes grew wide. The words were like a knife in her heart. She tightened her grasp on her child and turned away, "Am I still a prisoner to you, General?"

Thomas was taken aback by the question, "Pardon?"

"When I became a nurse for the British, I had no choice in the matter. I was your German prisoner." Eloise paused with a shrug, "I would like to know if I am still considered your prisoner, sir."

"Eloise," Thomas spoke softly. She could sense the hurt in his voice. "You stopped being a prisoner in our eyes so long ago. You are only seen as a wonderful nurse," he rested his hand on her shoulder, "and a wonderful woman."

Eloise forced a smile onto her gloomy face, "Then I am free to decide whether I stay or if I go, correct?"

Thomas sighed and nodded.