Part 4

Derek's POV
I jumped into the water I was going up, when I felt fabric brush my fingers I grabbed it and jolted up towards the surface. I got to the surface and confirmed that what I had grabbed was Meredith. I quickly get out of the water with her. She's blue, and she's not breathing. She seems dead, but I have to do everything I can to get her back. I take her to a gurney and we head to Seattle Grace. When we arrive I unload her. The paramedic is doing a run down when he says Jane Doe I quickly correct him saying it was Meredith Grey. Bailey kicked me out of the trauma room. I'm sitting outside feeling useless, wondering how she got in the water. I am interrupted from my thoughts by my pager shrieking, 911 VIP, it read. I ran to the ambulance bay only to be met with a screaming women. She looked frazzled, I was surprised to see George, Izzie, Cristina, and Alex working on the women. I thought they would all be around the trauma room. Maybe they don't know she's here? I get into the room that the women is placed in and ask why I was paged.
"She has a- um head injury, suspected to be sustained from a fall out of bed this morning" Cristina says quickly.
I did my exam, it doesn't look like she has any neurological issues so I got to update the chart when the women begins screaming again.
"I have to get out of here!! I have work!!" The women screams.
"Miss you need to sit down, and try to relax" George tries.
"Miss?! It's Dr. Grey to you!" She snaps back and George continuing on about how she must be at work.
"Dr. Grey? What's the patients name?" I ask in a hushed tone to Izzie who was the closest person to me.
"Ellis Grey" Izzie says quietly.
The VIP patients is Meredith's mother. Is this the secret Mer referred to, Ellis has Alzheimers.

Meredith POV
I wake up in a cold room on a hospital bed. The hospital is quiet. There's no one around. Then I see Doc. I'm puzzled, why am I seeing my dead dog? Then out of no where the bomb squad guy that died when the bomb went off shows up. I am seeing dead people.
"Am I dead?!" I blurt out.
"No, but you're close to it" Denny who I didn't even notice was here answers.
"Well I didn't want to die how do I get out of here?" I ask as I get off the bed.
"You can leave, but you better go quick before it's too late. Follow me" Denny says walking in front of me.
I follow Denny around the hospital till I see someone else. She looks vaguely familiar. It's my mother. Wait what? My mother. She's not dead...When did this happen?
"What happened to you?" My mother ask coldly.
"I drowned" I let the words spill out of my mouth.
"You what? How the hell did you manage that?" Ellis says, I guess shocked at what had happened.
"Uh yeah I drowned, at the Ferry boat crash-I'm going back though" I explain.
"Goodbye Meredith" my mother finishes before walking away.
"Don't be ordinary" I hear her mumble.
I'm somewhat sad I seen my mother here. I quickly follow Denny and start running. Then I'm back. I immediately regret this decision, I'm in pain, my head hurts and all the talking and noises is making it worse. I guess they realize I'm back although I'm asleep because they start talking to me. Then I feel a hand slip around my own. I don't know who it is at first, then I hear Cristina's voice.
"Mer you need to wake up" she says simply, trying to will me awake.
God her voice is making my head hurt even more, I'm about to wake up just to shut her up.
I move my finger to let her know I'm there. Wrong move this makes her talk more.
My head hurts, but if I don't utter a word or open an eye she will keep talking, and my head will keep hurting. I open my eyes slightly. It's bright. I groan at the sudden pain that washes over me. I try to talk but nothing comes out.
"Mer your brain works, just say a word, any word" Cristina says to me. After a couple minutes I feel like I have enough strength to say something.
"Ouu-ch" I mutter.
She smiles and starts talking again "I'm getting married to Burke".
That wasn't something I expected, but I'm proud of her this is a big step, I offer her a small smile.
Throughout the day I start to feel better and visitors filter in and out. To my surprise no one has formally told me my mother died, although I know from seeing her and how everyone is tiptoeing around me like I might break at any second.
Finally chief comes in to formally tell me my mother is dead although I already knew that.
The rest of the day is slow I'm stuck in a hospital bed, and when I get out I will have a million things to do regarding my mother. I'm already dreading it.