Part 19

"I think Ellis is haunting me" Meredith says looking at the urn sitting on Derek's counter.
"What?" Derek laughs.
"I think she's haunting me" Meredith repeats herself.
"No I heard what you said I'm just..." Derek stutters going to stand next to Meredith, staring at the urn.
"Yeah, I think she haunting me, we need to put her somewhere" Meredith explains looking at Derek then back at the urn.
"Uh...so where do you want to put her" Derek gulps he's seen people put their loved ones ashes in the water and he could only hope that, that wasn't Meredith's plan. He didn't want the fish in the water that he eats occasionally to be swimming with Ellis's ashes.
"In the water" Meredith says grabbing the urn.
"Wha-wait no bad idea" Derek says trying to catch up with her. He stops when he notices her hop in her car. Derek laughs nervously.
"Are you coming?" Meredith noticed he stopped following her.
"Yeah, where exactly are we going?"
"To the hospital" Meredith says with a smile.
"The hospital, I thought you wanted her in the water-"
"Yeah! Water, the scrub sink, OR 2, you know my mother...she would love that" Meredith says smiling brightly.
"Uh are you sure that's a good idea?" Derek ask hopping in the passenger seat.
"Of course it is" Meredith says as she begins driving to the hospital.

"Mer I don't think this is a good idea"
"Sure it is Derek" Meredith reassured him, she looks briefly at the OR board confirming that no one was currently scheduled to use it.
"Meredith, Derek! I though you guys were off today?" Dr. Webber greets the two surgeons standing at the OR board.
"Oh we are-" Derek starts not knowing what to tell the chief.
"We're just checking" Meredith interrupts pulling Derek towards the elevator.
"Oh ok" Dr. Webber says watching the two fleeing surgeons.

"Come on Derek help me" Meredith urges this was taking longer than she had expected.
"I don't know- I... she didn't really like me.."
"She didn't like me either come one help"
Derek gulps and apprehensively grabs a handful of ashes letting them fall down the scrub sink drain.

"Meredith, Derek?! What are you doing this is a sterile area?!" Dr. Webber says as he walked in the scrub room only to discover the surgeons dumping something down the sink.
"I- we can explain" Derek begins.
"It's my mother sir she's haunting me and she loved it here" Meredith blurted out.
"Oh...Um I'm sorry- you can get back to that" Dr. Webber says awkwardly beginning to make his way out of the room.
"Would you... Uh like to dump some of them down sir?" Meredith ask. Derek looks at Meredith a mixture of horror and shock evident on his features. She was going to make this an event in the scrub room, Derek thought to himself.
"Um I don't know Meredith.." Dr. Webber says apprehensively.
"Richard she liked you more than she liked me, she would probably not mind if you dumped some of them down" Meredith smiled.
"Uh ok" Richard says grabbing some of the ashes washing them down.

"I feel much better after that" Meredith says smiling brightly as her and Derek walk out of the hospital.
"I'm glad" Derek says shaking his head in disbelief that he had just helped Meredith wash Ellis's ashes down a scrub sink.
"So Uh what do you want to do?" Derek ask as he gets in the drivers seat of her car.
"I have to start looking for a new house,
I don't think I want to build on the property again" Meredith says sitting in the passenger seat.
"Ok so house hunting?" Derek ask.
"Yeah I mean I have to eventually"
"Alright"

"This house is way too far from the hospital" Meredith says.
"Wells there's not many options Mer"
"I'm going to rebuild" she says walking back to the car.
"What?"
"I'm going to rebuild, these houses are all too far"
"Ok if that's what you want Mer" Derek says as they begin the drive back to his land.

"I'm going fishing want to go with Mer?"
"Sure" Meredith says hopping off the couch.
"You never catch any fish" Meredith teases.
"I do"
"No you don't, I've gone with you twice you haven't caught anything"
"Last time you were talking too much"
"That was last time, we've been out here for an hour and I haven't talked this time, you still caught nothing" Meredith laughs.
"You're probably bad luck, when I'm alone I catch plenty of fish both times I've brought you, I caught nothing"
"Wanna test that theory?" Mer says standing up.
"Don't jumps out of the boat" Derek warns her.
"No I want to test this theory"
"Don't Mer I was just kidding-" Derek says before the boat overturned due to the sloppiness of Meredith's jump.
"Sorry"
"I told you not to jump" Derek rolls his eyes as he flips the boat back over.
"I know I'm sorry" Meredith says before splashing him.
He turns around the evident scowl fading as he splashed her back.
"Hey!" Meredith says moving the hair that now covered her face.
"You started it!" Derek says trying to get back in the boat. Meredith swims to the boat pulling him back in the water.
"Tag"
"What? Meredith we are not 5 year olds" he says watching her swim in the other direction.
He smiles and begins swimming after her.
"Tag"
"No tag backs" Meredith whines.
"What? Who else am I supposed to tag"
"Oh yeah, you could tag a fish if you have caught any" Meredith laughs.
"Real funny"
"Tag"
"What? That's not fair"
"Not my problem you're distracted" Meredith says swimming to shore.
"Base!!" Meredith screams sitting quickly on a log on the shore.
"Tag" Derek says as he taps her on the shoulder.
"I'm at base you can't tag me"
"Meredith you're making up rules"
"Yeah well you're mad you lost"
"You can't lose at tag" Derek rolls his eyes.
"Yeah you can, you just did! You can't tag me because I'm on base and there's no one else to tag so you lost" Meredith explains.
"That's stupid"
"You're just mad you lost"
"Whatever, are you going to help me bring in the boat?" Derek ask laughing at the idea that he just lost at tag.
"I'll race you" Meredith says running into the water.
"Not everything's a competition"
"Scared to lose again" Meredith says swimming towards the boat.
"I don't lose"
"You just lost tag and if you stay on shore any longer you'll lose this race too"
Without another word Derek jumps into the water swimming as fast as he can to the boat. He catches up with Meredith who is starting to slow down. They reach the boat at the same time. They both hold onto the side of the boat as they catch their breath.
"I think I won and you had a head start" Derek gloats.
"I won" Meredith says quickly.
"No you didn't"
"Yes I did"
"Tie?"
"Fine tie" Meredith giggles as Derek helps her back into the boat. They sit in silence watching the sunset for a second before their eyes meet again. Derek leans in. There lips are about to collide when they are interrupted by the shrieking of a pager. Derek rolls his eyes looking down at the best which held his pager. How did that thing even work still? He asked himself. Great Ellis was haunting him now. He angrily grabbed the vest ripped the pager out.
911
He quickly began making his way back to shore.

________________________________
Stupid pager 🙄