Part 18

"Meredith"
"Yes Derek"
Derek looks back at the house that's still on fire then back at her.
"Do you want to put the box in my car? We'll probably have to go to the trailer"
"Sure" Meredith happily gets up and puts the box in Derek's car. Derek is confused as to why she's acting to ok with this whole situation. Nothing about this was ok, she had gotten taken by Finn not too long ago, her mother died, and now her house was burning down.

"Ma'am? Are you the owner of the home?" A firefighter inquires as he walks up to Meredith.
"Yes I am, Meredith Grey" she says shaking the mans hand.
"We got the fire out we were able to salvage much of the home-"
"It's ok I'm staying somewhere else now, thanks you putting the fire out" she says with a smile.
"We should go to the hospital and tell the others about the house" Mer walking to Derek's car and getting in the passenger seat.
"Um yeah I guess we should" Derek says following her to the car.

"Izzie! Hey! Um can we talk"
"Yeah sure what's up Mer?"
"The house burnt down"
"What?! Oh my gosh! Are you okay?"
"Yeah I'm fine.. ya see I was cooking but then the fire and the oil, then the grease fire... and the water, water doesn't help it.. and then I had to get Derek, he called the fire department... but they I had to go back in because my mothers journals and surgical tapes were still inside the house and everyone was yelling at me to not go in but I did I was fine and I got her stuff anyway yeah we don't have a house anymore sorry Iz" Meredith concludes giving her friend a small smile.
"Can you tell George and Alex for me if you see them"
Izzie nods
"Thanks Izzie I got to go, if you need somewhere to stay I payed for a hotel room, you guys can stay there if you want.. ok bye!"
"Bye Mer"
Izzie was confused the house burned down? That's not good. At least she grabbed all her mothers things.

"George! Alex!"
"Yeah Izzie" They both respond
"Mer burnt the house down so we're staying in a hotel down the street"
"She what?"
"Is she ok?"
Alex and George start asking questions.
"She's fine she just was cooking then yeah it went bad and no more house, it's fine we'll stay at the hotel"
"Um ok"
Alex's pager goes off and he leaves. How did Mer manage to burn the house down?

"Derek can I put my mother on the counter"
"Wha- oh yeah she can sit there I guess" Derek says as he watched Meredith put Ellis urn onto the kitchen counter of the trailer.
"Sometimes I feel like the women's haunting me" Meredith giggles sitting on the couch.
"Uh I don't think she's haunting you Mer"
"How would you know"
"Just a thought"
"Yeah you're probably right she doesn't care enough to haunt me... although she did shoot Finn for me that was pretty nice" Meredith begins slurring her words so I peek my head out the bathroom she's got a bottle of tequila.
"Meredith where'd you get that?"
"From the box of my mothers things it's seemed important when I went running back into the house, want some?"
"No thank you"
"Good I didn't want to share I was just being polite in offering" she giggles drinking some more.
"Slow down Mer"
"Why? I don't have work tomorrow and neither do you"
"Ok whatever you want to come fish with me"
"Sure" Mer says getting up and walking out the trailer with the tequila bottle in hand.

"Do you ever catch any fish?"
"Yes I do I'm very good at fishing"
"We've been out here for an hour you haven't caught one fish"
"Maybe it's because you are talking too much, scaring them all away"
"They can hear me?"
"Yes they can hear you talking and talking and talking"
"Ohh... sorry fishies" Meredith giggles as she finishes the last of her tequila.
"Can we go back to shore I'm out of tequila"
"Mer were in the middle of the lake we can't just go back for alcohol"
"Please"
"No Mer we're in the middle of a lake, just an hour more and we'll go back to the trailer and you can get more drinks"
"An hour?! Is this water cold?"
"Yes Mer the water is most likely cold don't go into the water" Derek watches as Mer debates listening to him.
It can't be that cold she thinks to herself before getting up and jumping in. Bad idea she can't swim because she's drunk so she just wails around in the water.
"Meredith!" Derek quickly retrieved her from the water.
"Ugh bad idea the waters cold" Meredith says coughing.
"Yeah you think? We better he'd back, get you warmed up"
"Yes let's go back"
Derek's rolls his eyes at her passing his things up and taking them back to his trailer.
"I'm tired"
"You haven't done anything"
"I swam"
"You did not swim, you thrashed around in the water and almost drowned"
"I didn't drown"
"I know"

Meredith and Derek got inside the trailer. Derek made Meredith some food before taking a shower. When he was done with his shower Meredith had already eaten and was laying in bed. Derek layer in bed beside her. Meredith rested easy next to him. Things for once felt right. The feeling of impending doom was fading away and everything was calm.

____
Finally some calmness in this story.
Oop Ellis on the counter watching them sleep.
Hope you enjoyed the chapter !