chapter 8

Ray looked at himself in the mirror to make sure for the tenth time that he looked okay. He didn't want to disappoint or make them think that he had no class or anything of that sort. He combed his hair with his fingers also for the last time. He looked great, at least that's what he thought. Who knows what they would think once they saw him.

After he was done, Ray took his car keys along with his blue blazer and headed for the door. Today was that day. The day he met his family as a whole. Scratch that, they're not his family. They're just people that he happened to know when he was a kid. As for now, they were strangers to him. People that he was going to meet. Let's just call it a business meeting. After that's what he saw them as. Business. Besides, isn't that why he had been invited to their home? For business.

Getting in the car, he began his journey towards the mansion. He knew where it was, he still could remember and go there with his eyes closed but just yesterday day, he got a text from his step mother reminding him of the dinner date. He replied with a text asking for the address. Of course, that was after thinking of ways to give excuse about not making it. After all, it was too soon to meet his family at once.

But then again, it's never too early for someone who wants revenge. He took his last corner and he could see the mansion from a distance. His heart was beating as fast as it could which made him wonder where it was actually located. Since after his mother's death he became cold towards everything around him. That's what people said about him. His fellow classmates and also his employees along with business partners.

It's not like he was in any kinda of mafia or anything. But what else do you become when you loose everyone that you ever loved at a young age. When you realize that you're on your own in this world. With no one to tell you how much they care and love you. What else do you do?

The gates opened when he got there and he drove his sport car towards the front. He didn't want to seem like he knew the area at all. He stopped it and took in a deep breath. He was there. In the mansion that his dad didn't want to come when he thought Maya was dead. Wait, did he just call him dad in his thoughts? That monster in there if he was anyway wasn't father of his. He was Chris. Chris freaking Rollins. The most celebrated man in the country. The most adored and worshipped man. If only those people knew the real him. If only they saw him for who he was.

But none did. In fact they didn't care about him even after not seeing him anywhere near his father. The press never bothered to speak up. And knowing the press the way we know it, it would let things like that just pass by. Then again, it proved to Ray how waste of space he was to everyone. His family and the world.

That's why when he fell from his glory he realized how hard life was. When he lived with Chris, he had everything. He slept well, ate well and even went to the best private school in the country. Then his mother came and he learned that life aren't a bed of roses. He watched his mother struggle to feed him let alone taking him to school. He saw how hard it was and that's why from saving money that he hadn't worked hard for to selling flowers in the streets so that he could help out where he could.

Ray took a deep breath before killing the engine and getting out of the car. He began to walk towards the front door and each step he took closer, the memories came back running to him. He could see his seven year old self being drugged by his mother away from the house. He could see himself crying for his father to save him. To take him back as Chris was busy with Maya. Ray stood at the door way and watched the way everything happens eighteen years ago.

He saw himself beg, telling Chris of how a good boy he was going to be. How he would get an A+ just to make him happy. He was crying, begging and all they did was shout at the guard to open the damn gates. He was invisible to them. They never saw him in tears. They never saw his heart break into a thousand pieces. And his pleases fell on deaf ears as they drove to the hospital.