chapter 26

Dedicated to WC2Lady

Ray sat still long after Chris had left the room and probably the club. He had no idea since last he had stayed with him, the man could drink himself to death. But at that moment he doubted that he would do that. After all he had gotten what had been the cause of his drinking. He had his family and they all were happy. Happy for years without him and when he came back, they didn't bother to talk to him at all.

Despite everything Ray had done for the company. How he had fired people for mistakes that could be forgiven. He had done that just to get his father's attention. Just to have him react to any of his strings but nothing. He reacted to none and that had Ray thinking that it's because he didn't recognize it. Yes, Chris had had him fooled all those months that they had been working together.

Imagine his surprise when the so called father said that he wasn't the same boy that he used to be. He had known all along. He knew who he was since he stepped his feet into that building. Maybe he knew before he got the shares.

Ray knew better than to underestimate Chris after what happened tonight. They had known all the while. That's why Maya was so damn quick to invite him over for dinner at the mansion on their first day of meeting. It wasn't to welcome him as a son but to rub it on his face how happy of a family they're without him. To prove to him how much he wasn't needed to complete the family.

His heart broke at the moment if at all their was anything that was left to break at all. He took in a deep breath as if needing it to survive. They had known all along and they had nothing about it. They hadn't even tried to apologise to him. Hell, leave alone apology but give him the answers that Chris was so damn sure he needed.

They never bothered and that killed him more than once. Chris had known who he was when he had looked him in the eye and said that he won't let anyone, meaning anyone hurt his son Gabriel. The man hadn't even blinked when he had said that to him and now he wanted forgiveness. For what? Nothing he had done so far or said had showed Ray that he loved him or was sorry even one bit. Nothing at all.

Ray felt his cheeks wet and he didn't wipe away the tears that flowed down. Maybe it was that time. The time he mourned his childhood. The time he realized that he had lost before even starting the war. He was really giving up before the battle even ended.

He mourned his young self who never got a chance to know how it felt to have a mother and a father who loved you. He never had a family and by the time he did, his heart was as cold as it got for it to appreciate the finer things in life.

The nerve of Chris clamming that he drunk himself because of him. How dare he say that the reason he was looking for Maya or fighting for her was because of him. It was for his sake when in reality it wasn't. The old man was really using a reversed psychology on him. That's how stupid and desperate he thought he was. His own father thought that way about him.

What of the world then? What did they think of him after his out burst at the fashion house. They now thought of him as a desperate kid who wanted his father's attention. The thought that the man in him was really in need of some love and pity.

More tears rolled down his eyes as he thought of what his life would have been if he had moved on. Moved on from everything that he thought was necessary. Maybe today he would be a better man. Better than Chris and Maya. Maybe he would have been like his elder brother. A grown man but still a baby no, teenager inside him. Him opening clubs wasn't to manage them but to have fun in them whenever he went to different towns or countries.

Abel had not neglected his clubs at all but he knew more fun than money. That's why he wasn't happy when Ray had to leave and him take over. He really hated serious business and family business was one of those serious business.