chapter two

"Prince, get up." Prince heard someone shake him and call him for the tenth time and all he could do was groan and attempt to go back to sleep.

He was so sure that the person wasn't his father and neither was she his step mother. How did he know, because for the past few months he had been with Maya she woke him differently, not like the one shaking him up. His step mother woke him each day she got a chance with kisses and they always worked. Those kisses. He missed them more than he cared to admit but what was he supposed to do. They had thrown him out like a dog.

No, he had agreed that a dog gets even better treatment than he received that day. His father had said he couldn't. He couldn't fight for him no matter how Prince cried. His tears made nothing to him all that time. They didn't move him when his had.

His father's tears had moved him each time he saw them. He had been there for him before he even came to learn about Maya being alive. Prince had dedicated his life to him for years. He had cried with him when he heard his father cry in his room every night. He had been sad with him each time he saw him sad.

But what about him? One whole month without visiting. A month without replying to his letters when Prince had done nothing but to check the mail box each day. Again, that was enough evidence that they never loved him...

"Please get up son." Again the woman voice spoke which made Prince to open his eyes slowly. "You need to eat something before you fall asleep."

"I'm not angry." He said attempting to go back to sleep once again. "I'm still full."

Prince opened his eyes completely when the covers were drawn away from him. Soon he was turning eight years old but his mother was treating him like a kid. He was grown up. At least that's what life had made him be. A grown ass man.

"You only eat sandwich since morning. Now get up, I made us rice with dry fish."

"Fine," and as if his stomach heard everything, it grumbled making his mother to laugh.

He was yet to call her mother but she was giving him the space that he needed. After all, had the same thing not happened between his father and his real daughter? He had given her space and at the end, she had called him papa. He really must be happy where they're at that moment.

Prince sat on the worn out couch and waited for his mother to bring him food. They're already in another country and life wasn't easy their. His mum had used up all her savings to get them a two bedroom house that had no furniture at all. She was really trying and Prince had to appreciate everything she was doing.

"How was school?" She asked as they went on eating their meal. He was thankful that today they got to eat dried fish.

Three months in another country and each day felt like the first day. Hard hustle and all that.

"I need tutoring fee." He answered once he had swallowed his food.

"I'll talk to you principal tomorrow to see if he will let you free for this week. I've these gigs and I'm sure I'll get enough for your tuition."

Prince just nodded his head and went on eating. It had been like that for those months and she always kept her promise. She did no matter how hard it was and he was greetful to her.

"Some times I wish I never took you away from your father."

"You did the right thing," Prince got up and took the dishes away. "Because I got to know how much I meant to them."

"Don't think that way son. Chris..."

And just like the way he had walked out on his mother that day, he walk up sweating. He hadn't meant to fall asleep on the couch the moment he got home from work. And he hated being asleep because he never dreamed of anything new apart from his past. Of all the things he went through as a kid because of a one sentence.