chapter 3

Prince stood outside a cream inn and watched as families walk past him. They're either going inside or coming outside the building and all he could do was stare. Stare at the ice cream that was melting in the kids hands instead of linking it. And each time he saw that, his heart broke. It broke because he wished he could just get a taste of his favorite flavor but he couldn't.

To think that a few months back he had everything in life. He had good life. A lot of money, no, it wasn't his but he still had his savings. He had a father that knew what he wanted before he could even say a word and no he only had one dollar in his pocket. What good of the dollar in his pocket if he couldn't use it to get himself a corn if nothing much.

A tear slide down his cheek pulling him back from that memory. He had promised to move on. To move on from his past and everything that hurt him but it wasn't that easy. Not when he walked to places like those. Places that mocked his as he sold flowers just to help his mother. Of course, that was after he came home from school. And so far he had sold a lot of them. He had made twenty dollars already and his share was only one dollar there.

He looked at the three flowers that had remained in his hand and smiled at himself. His mother was going to be proud of him when she returned home from one of her gigs. Lately she had been getting a lot of then and it was a good thing. His school feels was paid for the whole semester and so was the rent. All they needed was food and paying bills. The rest was to be saved up. Like the way he did with his one dollar each time.

Prince was about to turn away when a little girl walked towards him covered in nothing but ice cream. He wanted to laugh at her appearances but then he noticed that she was crying. He hated it when he saw others cry. He knew the pain and to be honest, he didn't like it. Not one bit.

"Here, use my hanky to wipe that away." He offered his hanky to the little girl. She looked like she was around two or three years old.

"Th... ank you." She said in between her hiccups as she put her hand forward to take the piece of clothing from him.

Prince watched the girl at least attempt to wipe away the tears along with the cream but she was failing terribly. But at least she was trying.

"Lemme," he took it from her and did the work himself. "There, all clean." He smiled to the girl. "You look like a doll now."

The little girl smiled at him. "Really? Which one? Barbie?"

She was so excited making Prince forget his problem for a while.

"No, Barbie is over rated." He pinched her left cheek. "You look like your own doll." A came back on the little girls face when he said that. "And a really unique one for that matter."

"Thank you." She said her cheeks all turning red. "Can you be my boyfriend forever and ever."

Now that had Prince laughing. Like really laughing. That something he hadn't done since his family gave him up to a mother that he hadn't known till she came asking for him.

"Doll, you're way too young to have a boyfriend."

"But my brother has a girlfriend." She said sadly. "And he says she is pretty and I'm not. So because you think I'm pretty like my brother does with his girlfriend, be my boyfriend."

"I can't doll," he saw tears begin to threaten to fall from her eyes and he added. "But I can be your elder brother if you want."

"I already have one. And we fight a lot."

"You can have another who can't fight with you."

"On one condition then." She said after she pretended to have been thinking for a while. She must have seen someone do that. "You'll call me doll forever and ever."