Chapter 21

"Mrs. Southgate will serve 25 years in prison" the judge says. After he said that, I knew that my life would change. I knew it already changed when I found out about this, but this is reassuring my life has been changed forever.

Emily won't have a mother. Just my dad and Shawn. I just hope they will take care of her.

I've heard that my dad didn't know about any of this until the police told him. He never knew that his actual daughter had died and I'm not even blood related with him.

But I know that my dad and I still have a special bond, blood related or not. We're family. Shawn too. We might not be actual twins, but he's still my brother.

Same with Emily. I would take care of her, but I don't even know how to take care of myself now.

Minutes later everyone scrambled out of the court room. But I stayed a little longer.

As I was leaving, I saw Emily run towards me. But she ended up running past me. I turned to see where she was going. To her mother. She extended her arms out and Emily jumped into her arms. If that's not cry worthy, I don't know what is.

"It's going to be okay, sweetie. Mommy loves you" she cried. "I love you, mommy" she cried on her shoulder.

"Come on, Emily!" my dad yelled. I turned to him and he smiled at me. Emily came running into his arms now. He looked at my mom but had no sympathetic look. He then left. Everyone left now. It's just me and Ellie and my mom with her lawyer.'

"Bye, Mrs. Southgate" I say to her before walking out. "I know your real mother!" she yelled at me before I completely left. Ellie's eyes widen, so does mine.

"How?" I snap, walking towards her. "She used to be an old friend" she shrugged like it was nothing. "Where does she live"

Then in an instant I got her address. It could be a lie, but maybe it isn't.

***

"This is crazy. She could have gave you the address to a serial killer!" Ellie exclaimed. I roll my eyes. "Come on, Ellie. I want to see if it's true or not" I beg her to come with me. Calum already agreed.

She finally gives in after a while and now we're on our way. It's like a roadtrip sort of. I try to think of happy things even though my life is horrible right now.

"I guess this is the house" I say, glancing back and forth between the house number and the paper that held the address.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Ellie asks. "No. I want you guys to stay here" I instruct. I get out of the car, staring up at the huge house. The neighborhood seems nice. Filled with trees, a road and houses closing in on the road.

I stare up at it, then back down at the paper. I crumble it up and put it in my back pocket. The house is at least 3 stories tall, with a greenish-blue color. The lawn is cut nicely and a garden is visible next to the house.

I walk up the front steps and a woman opens the door. "Hello?" she asks, confused as to who I am. "Are you Mrs. L-Lynn?" I ask. She nods hesitantly. "Yeah. Who are you?" she asks. I start to cry but wipe my eyes.

I stare down at my feet before looking back up at her. She changes positions with the plate and towel she has in her hand. I'm guessing she was in the middle of cleaning the dishes. "I-I'm your daughter" I smile through my tears.

Her eyes widen and she drops the plate. She just stands there with a look of shock clearly evident on her face. "F-Faith" she whispers to herself. What is she talking about? My name isn't Layla?

"C-Come inside" she stutters and opens the door wider. I go in, stepping around the broken peices of plate.

"I can't believe it's you" she cries. "How did you find me?" she asks. "My mo- I mean Mrs. Southgate gave me your address" I say. She nods.