CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Raven finished the book by mid afternoon with the two skeletons as a feeling of content washed over them

    "𝗧𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗮 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸!"

    "It was good but I still prefer more realistic books than fantasy. Still, a nice change though..."

    The young girl giggled at the two brothers, "Yes, it is very good isn't it? But, when I was younger it used to make me cry at the end..."

    Both Guardians looked at her in confusion, "𝗪𝗵𝘆?"

    Shifting to get more comfortable on the trunk since Raven is still sore from earlier on, she replied "Well, I always got upset when the villain got beat up."

    This caused the bubbly skeleton to be even more confused as he tilted his head, "𝗕𝘂𝘁, 𝗥𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗻! 𝗛𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗿𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝘆 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴!"

    The young mage gave Dream a small smile, "My mother once told me that every villain has a story. So, what if the villain had some kind of reason behind his actions? Like, if he was treated wrongly all his life and just believes that everyone else were the same as his tormentors? Or if he was forced to do those things because some unknown force was holding his loved ones hostage? Would you still think the same?"

    Dream went to protest but quickly snap his mouth shut when he thought about it more. Raven did have a point; he guessed he never really thought about it that way...

    As the Guardian of Positivity was deep in thought, Nightmare looked at his best friend in awe. He never thought that Raven would defend someone who was proclaimed evil. Does she think the same way about Terrence and his gang? The townsfolk? He will have to ask later.

    Raven let out a chuckle as she looked at the black and golden apples that shined within the sun's rays, "The apples look beautiful today..."

     The two brothers looked up with the girl; Dream smiling with pride "Yeah! The golden apples seem to be especially pretty today with the sun shining down on them." This caused Nightmare to tense; hurt and surprised that his brother would boast about his apples so openly and with him within ear shot. He was about to scold him when a hand gripped his sleeve in reassurance as Raven glanced slyly at Dream, "You have a point... but I find the darkness of the black apples more appealing."

    Dream looked at the girl in shock until he heard a snicker escape Nightmare, "𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝘀𝗼 𝗳𝘂𝗻𝗻𝘆?"

     Putting on a face of mock innocence, he retorted "Oh, nothing... just think it's funny that you just got told. But, then you deserve it for saying that you're apples were better than mine."

     "𝗕𝘂𝘁, 𝗜 𝗻𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗮𝗶𝗱-"

    "We know what you said."

    Dream narrowed his eyes at Nightmare as he was about to deny, once again, but was interrupted when a voice called his name.

    "Dream!"

    Looking in the direction of the voice, the skeleton smiled as he spotted one of his friends, Terrence. But unknown to him, the two best friends flinched from the sight of the rabbit monster as a thick tension seems to have formed. Upon seeing his two favorite people in town, Terrence gave Raven and Nightmare a sadistic smirk while the other two glared daggers at him.

    Raising a nonexistent eyebrow, the unaware skeleton questioned "Did you need me for anything?"

    Breaking eye contact with the two, the rabbit smiled at Dream "Yeah! I was wondering if you want to hang out with me and the gang before I leave?"

    Gasping in realization, the Guardian exclaimed "That's right! You're leaving for the summer! Yeah, sure! I would love to hang out with you!" Turning to face his brother and Raven, Dream said "I'll see you guys later!" before running off with the two faced rabbit.

    Nightmare let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and was about to ask Raven if she was alright but stopped when the skeleton noticed she was still glaring harshly at the spot where their tormentor once stood. The young girl's minty blue eyes glowing brightly with the setting sun but what got him more panicked were the ominous red glint that held her hidden RAGE. Not wanting her to get stuck in that darkness, the Guardian of Negativity quickly embraced the young girl in a protective hold while whispering "He can't get to us anymore. We're safe..."

    Frowning at his words, Raven couldn't help but think, 'If only you knew the truth, Nighty...'

    * I know that this chapter was short but I was kind of content with how I ended it. How did you like the chapter? I'm starting to slowly write about the strain of the brother's bond with each other; so be prepared for some drama! Raven will, also, start to change a bit so keep an eye out for it. Please don't be afraid to vote and comment on my story, it will be greatly appreciated. Stay safe and healthy out there!

- BeanZ96 out! (●'◡'●)ノ