CHAPTER THREE

TAP

TAP

TAP

Nightmare squirmed in his seat as he nervously eyed the man in front of him, who was tapping his fingers against the table. A man who's been eying the skeleton like a starved wolf eying a piece of meat. There's something about the man that's been making the Guardian feel a bit intimidated; like an instinct telling him to run. Then there is one thing that's been really bothering Nightmare, he didn't sense any INTENT coming from Raven's father; it's like he's masking it or something.

He was towering to almost six feet tall with broad shoulders and lean muscle; causing his black shirt and green pants to stretch. He had, what nightmare could assume, his wedding ring tied around is thick neck. He had midnight violet hair and stubble that added a wild look to him with tan skin that told his love of the outdoors. Just like his daughter and wife, the fathers eyes seemed to glow; adding a magical effect to his baby blue eyes. But what felt off about them was an ominous red glint that was the cause of the Guardian's unease.

'So this is the lad that me daughter brought home?'

Batair eyed the monster curiously; making sure to take his time in studying the skeleton. He was wearing a royal purple cuffed long sleeved shirt with a trace of gold at the seams and black pants. He had on a golden belt and crown with a crescent moon symbol on it. Batair's blue orbs landed on Nightmare's wavering purple eye lights and noticed the bags under his eye sockets.

"There's no need for ya to be nervous lad. I ain't the type to hurt me little starlight's one and only friend.... without a reason."

There was a moment of tense silence before the father let out a hearty laugh while slapping his leg, "I'm only messing with ya boy! Ya can relax..."

"Batair..."

Flinching from the warning in his wife's tone, he turned his attention to the direction of the voice. Her long black hair was sticking out in places and her clothes wrinkled; her hands were on her hips as her foot tapped as she scolded "You better not be scaring the poor boy..."

"Ah..." Salem's husband scratched the back of his neck as he chuckled nervously, "I was only havin' a wee bit of fun, love! I was on'y looking ou' for our starlight... an' he gained me approval. No need ta get cranky mama bear..."

A tug on his pants saved him from his wife's wraith as Batair looked at his daughter who had her cheeks puffed out in a pout. As soon as he had his face towards her, Raven started to pull and stretch his cheeks, "Papa! You beehave! Nightmware is ma fwiend!" With that she crossed her arms and turned her back to her father; still having her cheeks puffed out in a pout. Flailing his arms around in slight panic, the odd man bent down to his daughter's height, pleading "Ah don' be mad a' papa, starlight! I was on'y playin'!"

Watching the whole scene play out, Nightmare couldn't help but to laugh causing the couple to look at him questioningly and for Raven to smile warmly while shyly stating, "Didn't I tell you that he has the pwettiest smile?" Freezing from the compliment, the poor skeleton's whole skull glowed purple while his eye lights disappeared from their sockets.

'How is she so cute? This shouldn't be allowed! How am I going to deal with this?!'

"Ah! Mama! Papa! I think I bwoke Nwighty!" Running to the still frozen Guardian, Raven started to tug at the sleeves of his shirt while repeating his name worriedly which caused him to snap out of his stupor.

"I-I'm ok, R-Raven! That just caught me off guard." Chuckling at his prior actions, he continued with a wide smile "You have a wonderful family here."