EPILOGUE

Time has past by agonizingly slow for the deceased mage as she continues to wait for when her lover comes and visits her unchanging corpse. The first time, he broke down crying as he clung to her stone cold body like a lifeline until he finally calmed himself to tell Raven of his discoveries of new worlds to his newfound powers; of his misdeeds of destroying said worlds and spreading negativity throughout the multiverse. He has told her how he gave himself a title as the King of Nightmares; that he had created a castle for himself and his team to live in. He had even somberly admitted that, if she were still alive, that the corrupted skeleton would have named her Queen without hesitation.

Then, the King of Nightmares would get up and walk towards his brother's statue just to make sure that there weren't any sign of him breaking free of his prison. Until he bid farewell and left through his own portal to his castle. This was a monthly routine for the two; Raven would patiently wait for Nightmare to come back for his visits until the waiting became longer...

And longer...

And longer...

Six years.

It's been six years since the King of Nightmares had last visited poor Raven as she still waited for him. It wasn't til after Dream escape from his prison did Nightmare finally showed up but...

It wasn't how the mage expected it to be...

When the love of her life had stepped through that portal, the young woman had sensed a dramatic change within him. He seemed more distant and closed off; almost radiating a cruel aura around him. This Nightmare almost caused Raven's nonbeating heart to break.

Nightmare caressed her cheeks as tears poured down his socket before croaking out, "This will be the last time I'll be seeing you, Starlight..."

What?

"I just can't take this pain anymore... every time I see you, brings back memories that I, now, wish would disappear."

He can't be serious...

"All those happy times I had with you were the only things that I thought would keep my HOPE up. But..."

He is...

"It's not the same without you. I know that I will never be able to get over you but I got to move on."

"P-please... d-don't..."

Raven's breathing became sporadic as she watched Nightmare plant a soft kiss to her corpse's forehead before turning to the direction of an opened portal.

"N-Nightmare!"

Her feet started to move as the panicked mage started to chase after the inky skeleton as she tried to grab ahold of his shirt; only for her hands to phase through him.

"P-please! Don't...!"

Another attempt; another fail.

"Nighty!"

Until, the heartbroken skeleton permanently slipped from her grasp.

A sob escaped her lips as Raven wailed out, "But you promised! You promised you wouldn't leave me! No matter what!"