☀︎︎☽PROLOGUE☀︎︎☽

In the beginning, while the multiverse was fairly young, existed three magical trees that represented life, mana, and feelings; which all living things possessed. Due to the importance of these trees, each was protected by their own Guardian; cause without them the multiverse will cease to thrive. In the universe known as DreamTale, is where the Tree of Feelings resides. The fruits it bared contained two aspects of emotions; black apples that held negative feelings and golden apples that held positive feelings. Both types of apples had their own side of the tree; the darker side held the black apples and the brighter side held the golden apples.

    Without the Tree of Feelings, every living being in existence would be unable to feel any form of emotion.

    Joy

    Sadness

    Hatred

    Love

    We would be just empty shells of ourselves. We would be living without really living.

    As there are people who have the balance of, both, positive and negative energy; there are those who feel more negative energy than positive and vice versa. But the ones who are more negative have the tendency to attempt to damage the sacred tree to obtain the golden apples in attempt to destroy the unwanted emotions. The power in these fruits were strong enough to grant massive amounts of positive energy to a person for them to achieve anything that they desired; such as giving them enough DETERMINATION to go on a mass genocide without any fear of risk.

    One day, one of these aggressors attempted to attack and steal a golden apple. In attempt to protect the Tree of Feelings, the guardian retaliated against this being and won. But not without sacrificing her life to do so...

    Since the tree's life essence is connected to her, the guardian was in a race against time to SAVE the epitome of all the multiverse's feelings. Thus she fused with it; escaping from death's clutches and preventing chaos from spreading. Unable to properly protect the tree, the guardian gathered up all the positive and negative energy that she could and created two little light beings. One made out of pure positive energy, now named Dream, and the other made out of raw negative energy, named Nightmare. Needing physical forms, the guardian created two bodies resembling a skeleton monster from a universe called UnderSwap, known as Sans. After inhabiting the bodies, Dream and Nightmare were given the role of being the tree's new guardians; allowing the former's consciousness to go into a deep slumber within it.

    The only company that the two skeletons had were each other and declared themselves brothers. They were inseparable; cuddling, stargazing, even making flower crowns for each other. They even covered up the dried blood on the tree with a homemade flag with a painted sun insignia.

    Time passed and seasons changed as the brothers stayed the same; but the only difference was that DreamTale started thriving with life. Small villages started to form until they turned into towns causing civilization to move closer to the Tree of Feelings. This is when the unbreakable bond between the two brothers started to strain.

    As a new town was built near the hill that the tree resided in, it caught the people's attention residing within it it. All eyes were on the beautiful sight before them and the two tiny guardians protecting it; calling all sorts of people, good... and bad. Since Dream was made out of pure positive energy, people would always unconsciously flock to him; demanding his attention and basking in the positive warmth he would, naturally, provide. They treated him with kindness in return since he made them feel good; like all their worries and pain have vanished without a trace. While Dream's brother, Nightmare, was given an entirely different welcome since he was made out of negative energy. He was treated harshly. Always receiving glares and the cold shoulder, Nightmare would find himself in the full brunt of everyone's hatred by aggressively abusing him. Physically and verbally. While Dream continued to remain oblivious to his brother's pain and suffering.

    Nightmare finally snapped after such a long period of abuse and grew jealous of Dream. He got so filled with the desire to prove that he could be just as good as his brother that he picked a golden apple. Thus turning it black and corrupting it with negative energy. That, in doing so, angered the villagers and making them go after him in order to 'get rid' of Nightmare for good. This caused him to panic and to start consuming all the black apples on both sides of the tree.

    After all the apples have been eaten, Nightmare was hit with an unimaginable pain as his bones CREAKED and CRACKED. While a black substance poured from his eye sockets, mouth, and every crack that appeared on his skeletal frame. Dream watched in horror and anguish as black, goopy tendrils forcefully sprouted from his back with a loud CRACK that echoed through the barren wasteland that was once DreamTale. Covered top to bottom with black goop, Nightmare starts to rampage and kills every living thing in his path; making all who have tortured him pay with their lives.

    After watching every SOUL perish with wide, fearful sockets, Dream tries to reason with his brother; but to no prevail. Unable to watch his brother cause anymore destruction, with a heavy SOUL, Dream takes out the last golden apple he had hidden in his pocket in case of a dire emergency and eats it. Powered by the pure positive energy, Dream materializes a golden bow as he and Nightmare start to battle with frivolous INTENT. After a few more bouts, Dream is unable to continue the battle due to him still believing in his bond with Nightmare and thinks he can still stop this unnecessary destruction with all his 'heart'. Laughing at the Guardian's nativity, Nightmare scorns and renounces his ties with Dream before plunging a tendril through his rib cage; turning him to stone.

    Now the King of Nightmares is loose spreading negativity in the multiverse with no one to stop him as Dream continues to be trapped in his stone like state. But is this how it all really went? Are you sure Nightmare did all of that just because he was jealous? I think someone hasn't been telling you the whole truth. What if I told you he did all that just because of a girl?

    The one being that treated him right out of everyone else? The one person he could relate to? The one thing that helped kept his sanity in check?  The girl he fell in love with? The love that was killed by the very people who abused and tortured Nightmare...

    "𝑁𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑒! 𝑆𝑡𝑜𝑝! 𝑊ℎ𝑦 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑠?!"

    "Because it is all you're fault!"

    "𝑊ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑏𝑜𝑢𝑡?!"

    "It's because of you that she's dead!"