CHAPTER FIVE

Closing the door to Raven's room, Salem walked backed to Nightmare who was watching the flames dance around in the fireplace; deep in thought.

    Giving him a knowing look, she spoke up "Don't be too hard on yourself, Guardian. Raven would have done it even if you two weren't friends. Believe it or not, she has always watched over you but was too shy to approach you at the time."

    Nightmare looked up at the healer in surprise, "Really?"

    Pulling out a chair she sat in front of him, humming in response, "MMmm... the first time she saw you was the day I had to drag her out of the house... literally! She was always shy and took a while to adapt to new things..."

    ❤︎Flashback to Raven: Age Two❤︎

   "Was hiding under the bed really necessary, Starlight?"

    The only reply was silence.

    Salem sighed sadly as she continued to walk through town looking at the vegetable stands to figure what would do nicely to go with the deer that her husband hunted this morning. She has been trying to get her daughter to speak for a while now but with no such luck. With another sigh, the mother turned her attention back to the stand; not noticing a little butterfly catching her daughter's attention causing her to chase after it.

    With her white dress and black pig tails flowing behind her, Raven continued to chase the butterfly around as she squealed and giggled without a care in the world. She stopped when the insect lead her to the bottom of a hill where the Tree of Feelings stood proud with its leaves and fruit swaying with the wind. Drool dripped down her mouth as she eyed the apples hungrily but tilted her head in confusion; why were there two different colored apples? She looked to the brighter side of the tree but wrinkled her nose in distaste; she didn't like how the apples sparkled so much and doubt they would taste any good. Raven, then, looked to the left where the darker apples were; her eyes sparkled at the color. They were a unique black that had a tint of purple but had sparkly dots on them that reminded her of stars in the night sky. The child frowned at the thought of eating them; she didn't want to ruin something so pretty.

    A sigh caught her attention to the trunk of the tree. Waddling up to get a better look, she stopped to see a skeleton monster fast asleep with his back against the tree with a book on his lap. He had on a royal purple and gold long sleeved shirt with black pants which were tucked in his black boots; a gold belt was wrapped around his hips and a gold crown with a crescent moon symbol adorned his skull. But what truly caught the child's eye was the peaceful smile on the monster's face; her eyes shined in wonder and awe.

   "Pwurple... pwetty!"

    Raven's small hand went to touch the smile until she heard her mother's frantic calls. Turning back to leave a quick peck on the sleeping skeleton's cheekbone, the two year old whispered , "Nwght, nwight, pwetty pwurple!" Before running back to her panicked mother giggling.

    ❤︎End of Flashback❤︎

    "Since then, for past two years, Raven has been going into town just to see you but hadn't had the courage to talk to you. Until..."

    At the edge of his seat, Nightmare whispered out, "Until.. what?"

    Looking at the dying fire, Salem gave a small frown "It was two days before you two became friends when Raven came home in tears clutching her chest because she witnessed some of the townsfolk taking their hatred out on you. But what I believe what truly got to her was seeing you cry for the first time in the period she's watched over you."