CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

❤︎RAVEN'S POV❤︎

❤︎RAVEN'S POV❤︎

    "C'mon, Starlight! I know ya can hit better than tha'!"

    Right now, I was practicing hand-to-hand combat with a makeshift dummy that my Papa made. A week ago, he taught me the basics such as fighting stances, how to punch, kick, and how to use different weapons so I don't constantly rely on my magic. I must admit that this beats butchering animals to help relieve my stress and less chance of people spotting me; don't want the same problem that I had with Dream.

    He's been more wary of me after that.

    WACK

    I landed on my rear end holding my check as a new bruise joined the rest that decorated my body. Rubbing his face in frustration, Papa huffed out "I reckon we can stop 'or today. Ya can go get yaself check on by Ma." A wave of frustration came over me as I growled, "Why?! I can keep going!" In truth, I don't want to stop as I was still a bit paranoid about Terrence being gone for the summer. It just seems to good to be real; it almost feels like a dream. I'm still expecting him and his goons to ambush me to do their daily beatings. It's starting to show more in my moods and don't get me started on my night terrors...

    Ugh.

    My father frowned at me disapprovingly, "Now, Starlight... we've been practicing 'or almost the 'ole morning. It's not good 'or ye health to workout so much. Besides, don't ye want ta see your boyfriend?"

    A blush immediately appeared on my face as I whined in protest, "Papa, he's not  my boyfriend! He just..."

    "Someone ya really fancy?"

    My blush worsened as I glared at him while the annoying old man just smirked before innocently stating, "If ya ever want ta know, he has my blessing ta date ya..." I gave him a droll look before getting up and stomping away with him laughing in the background. While storming through the woods, I grumbled "Stupid old man! Always driving me insane... even though he's right." I am well aware that both my parents know of my feeling towards Nightmare as they keep hinting me to confess to him! It's not that simple as to just walking up to him and telling him!

    Sure, I've known him since I was a toddler but what if he doesn't see me that way? No, I rather play it safe and just cherish what we have now...

    Why is love such a pain in the ass?

    ~TIME SKIP~

    I was walking through town, towards the direction of the Tree of Feelings, when I heard yelling.

    Which caused me to get a terrible sense of deja vu.

    I ran with my black braid whipping behind me as my destination came into view. My blood boiled at the sight before me; my best friend surrounded by a small group of townsfolk, of different ages, throwing rocks at him. Gritting me teeth and digging my heels into the ground to increase my speed, I yelled out "HEY!"

    Some acknowledged my existence while others chose to ignore it as I push through the crowd and threw myself in front of the Guardian of Negativity; using my body as a shield to protect him from upcoming attacks. Looking up at me in surprise, Nightmare sputtered out "R-Raven?!" I gave him quick, reassuring smile, despite my rising RAGE, as I quickly faced the group and gave them a malicious glare "You guys better get your asses moving before I make you!"

    "Or what, bright eyes?"

    I tensed at the familiar insult as I locked gazes with Diana which caused me to sneer at her, "If Dream ever saw you guys treating his brother this harshly, I don't think he'll be very happy. Besides, I think I saw him coming this way. So, you two faced pillocks better scram!" With that said, everyone reluctantly dispersed with the cat monster being last to give one last glare at me before leaving. There was a moment of complete silence before Nightmare broke it with a chuckle, "Remind me never to get you angry."

    I stayed quiet as I tried to reign in the burning feeling in my chest but was having difficulty in doing so. How could I be this stupid and think everything was going to be ok? That Nightmare was finally safe from all the pain and abuse when he's never safe? I clenched my fist and squinted my eyes shut as my breathing became labored. Everything inside my body felt hot.

    Unnaturally hot.

    "R...ven?"

    I don't like it...

    "Raven?"

    I need to get rid of it!

    "Raven?!"

    I snapped out of my trance from Nightmare shaking my by the shoulders; with a scared expression on his face. How long was I out? Puffing out a breath of relief, he worriedly asked "You ok? You spaced out there for a solid twelve minutes." Only twelve? It felt like I was out of it for a good while...

    Giving the skeleton a sheepish smile, I said "I'm fine. Was just trying to calm myself a bit."

    Raising a nonexistent eyebrow at me with his hands on his hips, he retorted "Oh, yeah! I can see that. Blanking out for twelve minutes straight is perfectly normal!"

    I scoffed at his attitude as I crossed my arms over my chest, "When did the townsfolk start throwing rocks at you again?"

    "Doesn't mean that Terrence stopped bullying me doesn't mean the whole town will, Raven."

    I lowered my gaze to the ground as I seethed out, "Yeah, I realized that today...", before I gently gazed back at him, "C'mon, let's get you fixed up. Go on and sit."

    As soon as he did as I asked, I immediately focused my magic as my hands glowed green. I started healing his skull first as there were small cracks and bruises forming. Then, I went to his cheeks until I locked gazes with his purple eye lights, "Why didn't you tell me?"

     He avoided eye contact, which caused me to feel slightly disappointed, while explaining "I didn't want you to get hurt like you did today." 

     I felt touched my his words despite the irony of me already getting hurt for him but it's all worth it if I can protect him; since I have a feeling that Terrence is worse than the rest of the townsfolk. Giving him a firm expression, I scolded "Have you ever thought I'd be more hurt when I found out that you were hiding this from me?"

    "I-I know. I'm really sorry, Raven-"

    I gave him a peck on the cheekbone before smiling brightly, "I really appreciate the gesture though but please don't keep things like this from me, Nightmare. Just like you don't like seeing me hurt, I don't like seeing you hurt either! We're in this together no matter what!"

    ☽NIGHTMARE'S POV☽

     She kissed me?

     She kissed me!

     Raven kissed me!

    A bright purple blush cover my skull as I stared at her in awe; it's like I'm seeing her in a new light. Is this what love feels like? All warm and bubbly inside?

     If so, then please, whatever god exist, don't let this feeling go away.