Different

"Kyle for the love of God will you get your butt downstairs" my aunt yells.  

I press save on my latest track that I'm working on.  Take off my headphones and grab my bag "sorry, coming" I call as I run from my room.  

Aunt Bea is great she took me in when my parents where killed in a traffic accident and I love her.  She just likes to be on time for things.  "Here you didn't eat breakfast again" she says pushing a toast sandwich into my hand.  

She also gives me my lunch as we head out the door.  "Will Luke be staying over again this weekend?" I ask she smiles and nods "yeah, he called last night" she answers.

I nod and hide my discomfort, I'll ask Emma if I can stay at hers again.  Don't get me wrong Aunt Bea deserves to find a good man but I just don't like Luke.  He is ignorant, lazy and see's every male as a threat to his little bit of masculinity.  He would have loved me from two years ago before my growth spurt hit.

Now though I'm nearly 6' and have filled out some.  I still get bullied at school but I don't care.  I feel different from everyone else around me.  The only people I felt whole with are the twins and they moved away when I was 10.  I sigh as it still hurts when I think about them.

Aunt Bea pulls to a stop outside my school "thanks I'll see you later" I say pulling open the door.

"Kyle, please try and not get into any fights today" she worries.  I smile and wave goodbye as she drives away.

"There he is, Mr. Handsome himself" I hear Emma laugh as she spots me.

"Thanks beautiful, looking good yourself.  Accept what the hell do you have on around your neck?" I ask squinting at the dog collar around her neck.

"What you don't like it?" she frowns as her fingers feel around the leather strap. 

"No, take it off, your not a fucking dog?" I reply

She undoes it and pulls a face at me "I saw it in a magazine" she tries to defend.

"Was it Dog Weekly?" I ask and she slaps my back.

"Hey I heard, we are getting some new transfer students today" she says changing the subject

"How do you hear these things?" I wonder not for the first time.

She smiles and wiggles her eyebrows at me.  

"Stop that you look like a dog!" I tell her laughing 

Emma and I became friends when we were both late for the first day of high school.  We literally ran into each other trying to get into the office, so we didn't get a late slip.  She dresses normally between an emo and hippy.  She does the black eye liner and has black straight hair, but her clothes are more towards the hippy side of her personality .  She is a free soul that would rather walk around bare footed whenever possible.  I love her dearly.

"So, do you think they are going to be for me or you?" she asks

"Well if they look like, what's her name? The one you're always sighing over in Bunk'd?" I ask snapping my fingers.

"Skai Jackson" she says and I nod.

"Oh, I'd die if anyone close to her calibre was to come to this lame ass school" she says getting overly excited jumping and clapping her hands.

"What is with you and animals today, you look like a seal?" I ask smiling all the same.

She slaps my shoulder "you'll be drooling and making sure your T-shirt is covering your boner if they are anything like Dylan O'Brien" she says as we walk into class.