Chapter Three

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me, plotlines, characters, places, events (etc.) all belong to J.K. Rowling, she is the rightful owner. When a character is created by me, you'll know right away ;)

--

17 December 1997

Luna Lovegood had an ill-timed feeling of joy in the pit of her stomach. It was ill-timed because at the moment her heart swelled with unknown good news, one of the Carrow twins, most likely Alecto, was doing her rounds inside the Ravenclaw tower.

Headmistress McGonagall knew that it was only a matter of time before the school would be corrupted with many more of the Dark Lord's followers. Everyone knew that she was fighting to keep her rightful position as headmistress, but power on the dark side was growing stronger with each day Harry, Ron, and Hermione were gone.

As the warm and bright feeling fluttering in her tummy grew, she gave a soft chuckle.

"What are you chortling at, Lovegood?" spat the cruel woman.

"I'm so sorry, Miss Carrow, I was just wondering what the time was?"

"Thirty-seven minutes past midnight so shut it and go to sleep!"

"Yes ma'am, thank you."

Luna turned and faced the other side when the sole of her shoe began to vibrate. She'd stuck to wearing shoes to bed so that no one could steal them from her. It was Ginny's idea. Nonetheless, she removed her shoe and carefully plucked the golden coin from the bottom.

The message was clear and straight to the point: He's here. 

It was the first time in a very long time that Luna had been genuinely excited for something. She was always a master at concealing any real disappointment with a sweet smile, but now, she had a pious grin that stretched from ear to ear.

Not a moment later, Alecto Carrow had disappeared again and the coast was clear.

Throughout her years at Hogwarts, and even as a child, she would play games with herself. Not that she believed her father's back would truly break, she avoided the cracks on the sidewalk and jumped on certain stones while walking down to the grounds. This game was no different: stick to the shadows and you won't be seen.

It wasn't long before she reached Gryffindor Tower.

The Fat Lady knew that Luna wouldn't go to all the trouble to cross in the night unless there was a perfectly valid reason, so upon seeing the fragile student, she swung the portrait door open.

"But I haven't even said the password?"

"Do you know the password?"

"Oh," Luna realized, "I suppose I don't."

"Right, just come on in."

"Thank you, kind lady."

The Fat Lady rested her hand over her heart. Of all the students that had passed through her portrait hole, Luna was by far her favorite, even if she was a Ravenclaw.

Inside the hearth of the fire, the coals were still burning, but no flames danced. It was an excellent representation of the way Hogwarts looked from an outside perspective.

"Luna! What are you doing here?!" cried a frantic Neville Longbottom. "Are you mad?!"

"Lovely to see you, Neville. I seek an audience with Professor McGonagall? I figured she wouldn't want to sleep in the Headmistress chamber, it being the old room of Headmaster Dumbledore and all, so I came here."

"Luna, You need to go back to your dorms, Amycus Carrow was just here. He might come back!"

"Thank you for your concern, Neville, but I really must--"