Chapter Twenty-Eight

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me, plotlines, characters, places, events (etc.) all belong to J.K. Rowling, she is the rightful owner. When a character is created by me, you'll know right away ;)

--

6 May 1998

"Ginny..." Hermione croaked. It was the most sound she could make. "Please. Say something."

"I've studied every inch of this child's face, praying that maybe I could decipher trademark characteristics of his parents. That maybe, just maybe, if I knew who they were, I'd know if they'd want him back or not. I didn't recognize him, I saw only the child that I wanted to keep in my family. Convinced myself he was meant to live in this family." She smiled bitterly.

"Ginny--"

"--Hermione, I didn't recognize him! I didn't see it. But now I do and--well, what do you want me to say?"

"It's not about what you say. I'm looking for a clear indication of resentment in your tone or face composition. I'm trying to decide how you feel so that I can equip myself with the strength to leave if you want me to."

"Hermione!" Ginny swatted her across the face and snatched her wand. "Silencio!"

Hermione looked to see that the door gleamed a shimmer of blue as the spell hit it. What? Ginny silenced the door?

"I resent you, not because of what you've done. No, Hermione, I resent you because you thought you could keep something like this from me! I hate you because you don't remember how just this morning, you said to me that I was your sister! I hate you because you think I could possibly hate you when all I've felt is nothing but your fear and heartache while traveling through your memories!"

So she wasn't mad?

"You are such an idiot, Hermione Granger. I could never hate you," she said, her voice dry.

Hermione thought: Oh, she silenced the door so no one could hear us. Damn, I am an idiot. She mentally palmed her face.

"Come here."

She didn't need to be told twice. Hermione clambered across the room and lapped Ginny like a wave in a melting hug. Hermione laughed to her past self on the day she arrived, when she found it odd that everyone was hugging her so frequently.

When she let go, she sat against the wall and stared at one naked spot on the wall, evading the chances of eye contact.

"It was in Astronomy class, the fifth year. We were doing that constellation project."

"Oh, I remember that. I was paired with Michael Corner and stuck with Ursa Minor."

"Isn't Michael Corner your ex-boyfriend?"

"Yeah. The whole time, he refused to do the work, going on about his new girlfriend, trying to make me jealous. But at the time, I was with Dean. I couldn't stoop as low as to give him a rat's arse about his new girlfriend, even if she was real. Anyway, I got top marks on it, even though the project was utterly disastrous, but only because Professor Sinistra got wind of Michael's uselessness."

"Yeah."

"I remember that project. Yours, I mean. Ron said you were partnered with Malfoy."

"I was."

"Is that when it happened?"

Hermione gazed up as if she could view her memories on the ceiling like a light show. "Ron was pissed at first. Harry suggested I ask Professor Sinistra to trade with someone. But I was determined to do well on this project. Also, it gave me an excuse to keep tabs on Draco since, at the time, he was associated with the Inquisitorial Squad for Umbridge."