Chapter Fourteen

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me, plotlines, characters, places, events (etc.) all belong to J.K. Rowling, she is the rightful owner. When a character is created by me, you'll know right away ;)

A/N: Long chapter ahead. When I started, I thought it was going to be very short--almost a filler, but it turns out it wasn't!

--

1 May 1998

Hermione tugged at the tiny black dress that contoured her narrow body, the lasting effect malnutrition had over her during their time in the woods. She hated it. Everything about this plan, she abhorred with a scalding passion.

"Let me see," Fleur said, motioning for her to spin.

"It's very... explicit."

"I see what you mean. But it does look like her from what I recall."

Hermione chose not to reply. How could she? She was an imposter for the woman that she truly hated. She let her fingers roam the fabric and grow accustomed to her look. For the most part, she was plain. Bellatrix had a strange fascination with sexy-meets-disastrous, case and point, her tightly-sewn corset, and her little lace skirt that was utterly shredded at the bottom. Adorning her body was a corset, but Fleur graciously stitched together a shawl of the same dark color to cover her bosom and shoulders. Hermione wasn't that brave.

"Are you almost ready? Ron is just putting on the last few touches to his costume," Harry inquired.

"Almost," she sighed.

Hermione turned and met the gaze of her best friend. He was worried, but his face had a touch of hope and confidence that still graced his features, despite having hardened over the year. There was an underlying depression amongst them all.

This whole time, Hermione had put up a front so as not to raise any alarm.

Sensing her apprehension, Harry placed his hand on her shoulder. "We can do this."

In her heart, she believed him. But her head hadn't been persuaded otherwise. After all, she had a son to think about, to keep safe, to continue loving.

The moment she became a mother, he meant the world to her. Even before she met him.

"Are you ready to take the potion?"

Archie...

"No, not yet."

"What?"

"Can I first say goodbye to Archie? I've had the misfortune of growing very attached to him over the past month," she laughed half-heartedly.

Fleur smiled pleasantly, "But of course!"

Hermione entered his tiny nursery and picked him up from his crib. Her action woke him up but he didn't whimper or cry. He only relished in his mother's comfort.

"Goodbye, Archie. I might not see you ever again, but I want you to know," she whispered, "that you are so special. You are so loved. And Archie, remember that Mummy loves you." She kissed his forehead and laid him back down.

Before he could sound a whine, she drew his special blanket over his little body and patted his tummy.

She closed the door and sighed.

I cannot cry, I must be strong. The time for tears was yesterday. Today, I must execute this plan.

She slipped on a pair of frail heels, something she figured Bellatrix would wear, and walked outside.

She met with Ron and Harry who were running over last-minute details with Griphook.

And it was the goblin that noticed her first.