Chapter Twenty-Two

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me, plotlines, characters, places, events (etc.) all belong to J.K. Rowling, she is the rightful owner. When a character is created by me, you'll know right away ;)

A/N: Prepare for a longgggg chapter ahead.

--

2 May 1998

Draco slipped through his mother's grasp at the Manor and Apparated to Hogwarts, much like a boomerang that returns to its owner when thrown. He began his search for Hermione in the Great Hall, meandered through the castle's literal winding hallways and mobile stairwells. His plan wasn't a good one--one that might earn him a lecture from her for its dereliction and haphazard assembly. He just wanted to find her. To find someone that could point him in the direction of her whereabouts.

He knew he would receive a right beating for this, but if he found her and she was in company, he would gladly kiss her lips if it meant familiarizing them with her taste and sweet disposition. He would hold her close to him and push her unruly thick tendrils from her face to gaze into her beautiful brown eyes. Chances were, however, if Weasley and Potter were there, he wouldn't get to any of those, they would likely murder him before he could lay a gentle finger on her shoulder.

He passed Filch two or three unlucky times and tried to ignore the blood-stained carpets, the absence of friendly ghosts, and the mineral remains scattered about the grounds; all reminding him of his lost battle.

He gazed at the empty portrait frames, some of its occupants had returned. They were all still frazzled by the day's events, but they managed to collect themselves. And it stirred an idea into Draco's head.

He sprinted to the northernmost wing of the castle and appeared before the Fat Lady, who was toying with the grapes from the stemless kylix.

"Excuse me, miss?"

She nearly toppled over in her seat with fright. "Merlin's beard! What are you doing over here, Malfoy? I believe your commons are in the dungeons." She crossed her arms and harrumphed at the young man before her.

"I'm sorry, I just came to ask if Hermione had come by recently, or if she might be in her common room?"

"Why would you want to know?"

"I'm looking for her. I need to see her."

"In fifth and sixth year, are you the lucky man Miss Granger would sneak out to secretly rendezvous with?" He nodded. The blatant hurt pouring from his expression softened her big heart and she sighed deeply. "She's not here. Last I heard, she was outside in the courtyard. I don't know why, but hopefully, you'll find her there."

"Thanks, anyway."

"You know what I could do? I could ask around and see if any of the other portraits have seen her. Would you like me to do that?"

"I've checked the castle, but I s'pose that I could always use the extra help if you don't mind."

"Not at all."

"Thank you."

She stood up and exited her mural. He was left alone but figured that since he hadn't already checked the outside, except for when he walked inside, it wouldn't be unlikely that she would be out in the courtyard.

He ran to the courtyard just outside of the viaduct entrance and noticed only ruins and rubble.

Nope.

He chased onward to the courtyard across the bridge and outside the Great Hall.

No luck.

And lastly, he hurried to the courtyard outside of the clock tower. Where he threw his wand to Potter. Where he made his decision to leave Hermione on her side so his family could be together on theirs. And still, he came across nothing but shattered stones and rocks.